7 thoughts on “3 Signs Your Gym Isn’t Mental Health Friendly

• October 9, 2019 at 7:30 am

You left out gyms that play loud music. My gym is so bag I wear ear plugs.

• October 9, 2019 at 8:54 am

Hi i find my motivation high all of the time i love spending time at the gym and have spent time building and sculpting my body i do not wear baggy clothing to cover my body i wear sports vests and shorts BUT i have recently came out in raised spots they maybe lupus they may be guttate psoarsis i awaiting to see a dermatologist i am just bothered as time goes on and this rash increases possibly that it is going to have an impact on my mental health and will lose my confidence and start to cover up i am an outgoing extrovert person anyway but i really do feel that it is going to start stressing me out and make my conditions worse to the point where i will not want to go to the gym anymore because of stares and comments

• October 9, 2019 at 9:46 am

In my opinion, doing workouts by your own is the best option. I think you save money and time you could be spending going to the gym. I’m diagnosed with an OCD and I think this really helps.

• October 9, 2019 at 11:48 am

I appreciate the very brief blips in this article regarding what may contribute to a gym being mentally unhealthy. If we’re talking about wellness and mental health being a huge chunk of that, hopefully we consider what a gym offers from that perspective. For optimal mental health people need healthful and positive connections. Without those, people are as likely as heavy smokers to die prematurely. For a person to visit a gym as frequently as healthful activity requires, they will be spending a good bit of their life in that environment. While the physical environment is certainly a factor, there is a great deal more to consider. Does the environment promote positive and encouraging connections among the employees and members? Is the staff involved in the running of the gym and what it means to be pleasant to all its members? Or, is the staff removed, indifferent, self-involved and simply there to collect a pay check? Is gym etiquette taught, encouraged and supported? Does the gym have resources and programs in place to educate and support wellness awareness and development? While function of space is very important, so is the overall attitude of a gym energized by it’s objectives. A gym with an overall wellness objective will be focused on creating an environment that has a holistic agenda, and will follow through on what it provides and what it corrects.

• October 9, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I appreciate this topic. I left a gym twice because the music was so annoying and there were people on their cell phones constantly. I found that I was so unhappy and stressed out while working out that it was not beneficial to my well-being.

• October 9, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Great topic. ‘Gym Etiquette’ needs to be enforced regarding noise and social hygiene. My gym does not want skin on equipment and at first is was strange until I looked up the why-best to cover up, can still be form fitting but keeps skin healthier. We also have a wide range of nationalities and this made it more comfortable (and less smelly btw) for all. Many are forced to wear earbuds to cover the noise of the music, TV or others on phones. Ours recently discouraged phones and it was easy since it is a social norm here anyway. I’ve seen people ‘chat’ over slamming weights, I’ve seen them leave over it. Sneezing into air or hand or spitting in fountain without cleaning also caused problems. Keep exploring this. I stopped a membership once because there was just a plant barrier between the kid area and the work out area.

• October 10, 2019 at 11:24 pm

GYM ETIQUETTE is very important for a positive gym experience.

1…Don’t use the machines and equipment as a storage unit for your stuff.
    2…Put your dumb bells, plates and other equipment back when you are finished with it.
    3…Don’t pick up a pair of dumb bells or barbells from a rack, and then do your exercise right in front of the rack, blocking the remaining equipment from being used.
    4…Don’t sit on a piece of equipment and play with your device or chat with your friends.
    5…Don’t leave empty water bottles and snack wrappers laying around.
    6…Bring a small towel and wipe off the equipment after use.
    7…Simply be considerate and respectful of others.

It really can be that simple.