My Favorite Fitness Quote: Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable!
“Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable!”
I admit, I’m not exactly sure from where this quote originated. I’ve read that it’s a U.S. Navy SEAL saying, but I’ve also heard Jillian Michaels say it (most recently during her “Yoga Meltdown” program I reviewed a while back…which kind of leads me to believe she might have adopted it from the SEALS), but regardless from where it came, I *love* it!
I believe I love this quote so much because it not only relates to getting in shape physically, but also it relates to getting in shape mentally. Sometimes, in order to do that, you have to step outside your comfort zone, don’t you?
I’ve already talked about getting out of ruts (something I’m seriously working on myself) — which includes stepping outside of your comfort zone — and I’ve decided I’m going to use this quote to inspire me through the next month.
I’m going to get comfortable with being uncomfortable!
Some additional physically and mentally related quotes about life I’ve found include:
- “While most people are playing it safe and doing everything they can to avoid pain, successful people know that they must face their fears and do what needs to be done regardless of how they feel. They don’t necessarily like the hard work, but they’re willing to do it because they like the results.” — Elaine Moran
- “The only person I am better than is the one I was yesterday.” — Scott Deuty, Secrets of an Over 50 Former Fat Man
- “All you need are a pair of tennis shoes and motivation to change the course of your life.” — Heidi Bond, Who’s the New Kid?: How an Ordinary Mom Helped Her Daughter Overcome Childhood Obesity — And You Can, Too!
- “When the finish line seems too far away, remember how you felt when you were back at the starting line. Regain that motivation to recharge your momentum. — Toni Sorenson
- “I already know what giving up feels like. I want to see what happens if I don’t.” — Neila Rey
How about YOU, readers? What’s YOUR favorite quote you can tie into fitness, and how will you use it to inspire you through the month?
(P.S. Need some help? Try Goodread’s Quotes About Fitness, to which I attribute each of the quotes listed above.)
Sparks, A. (2015). My Favorite Fitness Quote: Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable!. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 18, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/your-mind/2015/05/my-favorite-fitness-quote-get-comfortable-being-uncomfortable/