So many of us exercise and eat healthy to improve our physical appearance, and while that’s definitely a perk (though, I’ve already expressed how it’s only one of the many perks of healthy living!), there’s so much more to beauty than the physical.
We forget this from time to time (sadly, some of us never actually know it).
As a reminder (or lesson), I’ve dug around and found 15 quotes about beauty — real, meaningful personal inner beauty, as well as external world beauty — to live by.
- “Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” — Khalil Gibran
- “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful.” — Ninon de L’Enclos
- “It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.” — Leo Tolstoy
- “You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul’s own doing.” — Marie Stopes
- “Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.” — Anne Frank
- “The best part of beauty is that which no picture can express.” — Francis Bacon
- “Real beauty is to be true to oneself. That’s what makes me feel good.” — Laetitia Casta
- “Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” — Confucius
- “Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty — they merely move it from their faces into their hearts.” — Martin Buxbaum
- “Character contributes to beauty. It fortifies a woman as her youth fades. A mode of conduct, a standard of courage, discipline, fortitude, and integrity can do a great deal to make a woman beautiful.” — Jacqueline Bisset
- “Beauty isn’t worth thinking about; what’s important is your mind. You don’t want a fifty-dollar haircut on a fifty-cent head.” — Garrison Keillor
- “Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.” — Edgar Allan Poe
- “Inner beauty, too, needs occasionally to be told it is beautiful.” — Robert Brault
- “If you feel beautiful, then you are. Even if you don’t, you still are.” — Terri Guillemets
How about YOU, readers? What are some of your favorite quotes (or just thoughts) on external vs. internal beauty? Share with us in the comments below!