5 Quick And Dirty Tips About Gluten-Free Diets
I haven’t stopped eating gluten, and I probably never will. I don’t have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (as far as I know), and, I like my bread.
Still, since starting Your Body, Your Mind and learning more about Psych Central Associate Editor Jessica Digiacinto’s gluten-free diet (The Gluten-Free Diet, The *BEST* Gluten-Free Bread, and Healthy, Vegan, Gluten-Free Chia Seed Pudding), I’ve been more interested in at least cutting back on gluten.
After all, cutting back on gluten will also mean cutting back on breads and pastas that can cause bloating, and sweets like cakes and cookies.
The problem is, I don’t know a whole lot about gluten-free diets. I don’t even know a whole lot about gluten itself.
A friend of mine who’s had some success managing Crohn’s disease symptoms by cutting a lot of gluten from his diet shared this WebMD Gluten-Free Diet Slideshow the other day, and although the piece isn’t a one-stop shop to the gluten-free diet, it does provide some helpful information to get you pointed int the right direction, such as:
- You can’t eat bread as you know it, but there are gluten-free bread alternatives.
- Cakes, cookies, and other related sweet treats are out, but you can eat sweets like hard candies, marshmallows, and gum drops.
- Traditional beer is out, but you can still raise your glass with most wines and liquors.
- Rice- and potato-based foods will replace a lot of your everyday staples.
- Going gluten-free is a big change. Do some research, stock up on a little patience and willpower, and be prepared to give yourself some pep talks before you get started.
Want more information about gluten and gluten-free diets and how gluten relates to your mental health? Check out:
- Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet Shows Promise For Autism Symptoms
- Gluten Sensitivity In Mothers Linked To Schizophrenia Risk In Children
- Gluten-Free Bipolar Disorder
- Women With Celiac Disease More Likely To Suffer From Depression
- Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (A forum on Psych Central’s NeuroTalk messageboard that includes useful sites and resources, recipes, and other information about living gluten free.)
How many of you eat a gluten-free diet? What tips or questions do you have?
Sparks, A. (2012). 5 Quick And Dirty Tips About Gluten-Free Diets. Psych Central. Retrieved on January 22, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/your-mind/2012/08/5-quick-and-dirty-tips-about-gluten-free-diets/