7 thoughts on “Is it Sadness or Depression? 10 Questions to Ask Yourself

• August 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

Unfortunately, some of these “symptoms” are a natural part of life. People are often in situations that are hard, frustrating and sad and they have little control over them. This is just reality.

• August 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Yes! The key is to differentiate between a normal response, and one that has gone beyond ‘normal’ in its scope and could be helped by medication or therapy. Learning what we can control, and what we can’t, is a huge part of healthy living. Thanks for your comment!

• August 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm

FWIW; as someone who has known depression and been treated — it is extremely hard to explain to someone who has not been there the huge qualitative difference…but if someone is feeling dragged down and these symptoms fit, or if they recognize that these symptoms appear again and again in their life, or that they have withdrawn from life, they should go for help.

The help should include a complete physical check up, too – because there are many “physical” (in quotes because depression is also physical /chemical) issues which cause or are related to depressive signs. It can be big problems such as heart disease; it can be “simpler” issues such as anemia, and many things in-between.

• August 15, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I have 8 of the 10. Yes, I am seeing a therapist.

• August 17, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I think your list is a good start. Those who have depression know it feels different than just being sad. Your list’s topics reflects that.
    My concern is in your last paragraph where you recommend that a medical doctor must determine whether you have depression. This suggestion leaves out those of us who are trained in mental health! I am a clinical psychologist and treat people with depression in various ways. If they need medication, or supplements, I refer them to the appropriate professional. All the recent research shows therapy, usually a cognitive change type of therapy, along with with medication has a better outcome than medication alone.

• August 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hi Kimberly,
      I’m glad that you pointed this out to me.
      My reasoning for checking with a medical doctor was to rule out other possible conditions, such as hypothyroid or low iron, that could be the cause, or contribute to, depression. I certainly didn’t mean to imply that other mental health professionals can’t diagnose, or refer to other medical care when appropriate.