Comments on
What’s So Great About Italian Men?

I took a holiday to northern Italy in January of this year.  My girlfriend Kathleen and I traveled together.  She’s married to a great guy, but loves to “get away” on girls-only trips.  We have a great time together and enjoy admiring guy-candy as well as historical landmarks in the various places we go.  Now, Italian men have a reputation …

31 thoughts on “What’s So Great About Italian Men?

• March 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Let me see if I can write this in the my Italian American vernacular of my grandparents…

Yo’s, Kate, did it hurt? Ya, did it hurt when you’s fell from heaven? Fa-get-a-bout it!

Here you’s go Kate, you’s now been hit on by Italian man!

(end of my Italian American vernacular)

What’s So Great About Italian Men? We have a lot of machismo, and care about Famiglia especially Mamma!

Kate it’s a stereotype to say all Italian man have “reputation of being hot tickets, big flirts and aggressive towards foreign women.”

It could’ve been a number of reasons why you weren’t perceived as available… body language, your attitude, age, company you keep… All play their part to tell if a woman is approachable or avoidable.

(using a humorous and humorous vernacular tongue now… I.e the rest is meant to be funny)

You shouldn’t have to scour the world to find a “man”… Have an open mind and open heart and things will happen… or when all of fails there is always match.com… 🙂

• July 13, 2011 at 4:06 am

Consider that american girls, compared to italian ones, are not that special… So probably you just look under average for italian men!!!

• July 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm

There’s a misunderstanding about the Italians. They are great lovers, great romantics, great flirts but that doesn’t mean they go after everything that moves. Italian men love women but that doesn’t mean they flirt with all of them… They know what they want and then they go after it. They are actually quite picky.

I’m with an Italian and trust me the other legends are true… Mindblowing in bed and always a gentleman. He is the perfect man… I’ll never want anything else than an Italian man again…

• August 7, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Italians aren’t big on “natural” beauty. You could be very attractive but will go unnoticed because compared to Italian women you don’t have much flash. Italian women where look at me clothes and makeup. Older Italian men are probably used to a more low-key look in women and will notice that you are attractive.

• August 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hahaha! I am 13 and live in Washington. I can’t wait to take a trip to Italy. I love the accents and the place seems beautiful. I do not expect them to all be like the ones on ‘Jersey Shore’ but, I do not expect them to all be ‘poifect’ gentlemen. It all depends on where you go. 😀 Until then, I love you Italy

• August 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Also, I can’t help but LOVE Chato B. Stewarts comment.

• October 11, 2011 at 1:41 am

I am an American and my fiancé is Italian, currently living at home in Italy but moving to the states this coming summer with his two teenaged children. Let me tell you when we first met, eight years ago, he was very aggressive; so much so that I was a little afraid of him 🙂 We kept in touch and even spent a couple nice summers together over the years and then last summer he came back (his family has property in the city I live in) and it was like a fairytale. We are now in love. He had calmed his Italian ways that worried me so much eight years ago. I am 34 and he is 42, in my opinion, it is perfect. And my love for him has nothing to do with his culture (although the accent is a nice bonus)

• October 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

They are gentlemen, spontaneous, and will definitely flirt if they like you.
    they have a particular taste when it comes to woman, so even though they are romantic and flirty, they will not just look at any girl that walks in front of them.

• October 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm

You were in Northern Italy, you need to go a bit more south, let’s say from Florence and downward, (pretty much the majority of Italy)there you’ll find more flirtatious men darker complexioned and with this “exotic” touch.

• October 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm

hmmmm, I must say that I had the opposite. I am not concieted but I do think that I do get quite a bit of attention but I remember the men being so aggressivetowards my friend and I and I almost punched one in the neck while in Florence. My friend though is pretty hot, tall beyonnce looking black girl and I am half black american half korean, so maybe I looked exotic to them. I did meet some nice men too. Last week we went to an italian party at the Italian Embassy here in Iraq and the bartenders stopped the music and toasted to my friend and I saying that we were the prettiest girls at the party. IT was a bit embarrassing b/c I don’t like being in the spotlight, but maybe being darker is exotic to them.

• November 8, 2011 at 3:59 am

You should try again in Rome! I agree with many of the comments here – Northern Italians are more reserved, Italians in general really evaluate others (men or women) based on how they are dressed, accessorized and made-up, and it I think its easier to be approached if you are alone. I was in a nightmare in Rome – stood up by an American man I was supposed to meet on a romantic rendezvous – and felt absolutely adored in Rome – by men old and young alike! In the end, I met my tall, dark and handsome Italian soulmate, and have just moved to Rome!

• November 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I want nothing more than to have a home in Italy, a hot italian husband, and to write

• April 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Then u should just move to south of Italy…. I wanna have a foreign lady,live wherever in the world and write.. 😛

• January 21, 2012 at 11:53 am

My Greatgrandfather was an italian immigrant from Biella italy an hour and 14 minutes south of turin (torino) and i was almost 16 when he passed. He was 5.8 tan and had dark hair! Yes their are darker featured italians in North italy as well! But here in the us 80% of the italians are from south italy or siscily. We dont have contention here between the descendants of either north or south. And i am very attracted to south italian women as well. But we are just like anyone else. Whats the fascination with the tan skin anyway? Nordic women with a thick build always get my flirtation:). Second italian women. Just my preferance.

• January 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

I have recently came into a relationship with a 100%Italian man. He found me and since then its been the breath taking moments that all you women could imagine. He is so kind, passionate,wants only me, very handsome, and WOW the accent! I have for many years dreampt of having a man exactly like him, from top to bottom, and he found me right on time!!!!! 🙂 Ladies, Keep it Italy bound,;) From my experience of American men………They’re alot of jerks and cheaters! I love my Italian man!

• January 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hi, I’m a northen italian guy, so you visit other countries just for one reason, don’t you ? I’m not against sex, but I think love is like a meal that could take time to be tasted in all its flavours and quality of its ingredients. You know a risotto alla milanese or risotto ai carciofi ? You need good ingredients, a good chef and the right place if you want to enjoy your life.
    A take a way food it’s another thing.

• February 2, 2012 at 12:30 am

Headed to Iitaly in September,with a girl friend. we are planning on doing a lot of walking. We are looking for decent hotels not so expensive.What is the best parts?for two women. We want to hang with the locals, our main thing is seeing a lot Iitally on feet. Please help we are doing the research and checking into differant areas.

• February 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I recommend Verona – we loved it. A very walkable city and mostly locals.

• February 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I have been living in Italy for 3 years, including 2 in Sicily, 1 in Florence and now on the Riviera.

Men in the south are very very forward, men in the north are not.

All the women do not dress up and most wear no makeup during the day so the comment about natural beauty is crap. They do dress to go out at night though.

The Italian male is a myth. They are liars and cheaters and all looking for a quick bit of action for nothing. They are cheap and will not spend money on you. Most of them are not the great lover they are made out to be. They do not pinch your bum.

I have been harassed and followed by them all over the south of Italy…but in the North they will say and do very very little. They are in general attracted to ALL women, and they do like foreigners, not only Americans.

I can tell you that in general Italian men are not dangerous, not like American men can be. A date with a man in America can be life threatening. This lot do genuinely love women.

And for Windy who met the man of her dreams…give it time sunshine…he will lie and he will cheat. They all do, it is their culture and nature.

if you wanna be pursued relentlessly go to the south of Italy.

And why Italian women are slim? They do not eat.

• February 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm

P.S. come to Italy for the treasures, the beauty, the food and the cheap booze, but not for the men!

I highly recommend Florence but it is very expensive in the tourist parts. Visit Lerici or Tellaro on the Riviera. The most amazing turquoise waters and beaches and views. Sunsets to die for! The food is great and in Sicily they make wonderful deserts. Palermo is a dirty city with stray animals everywhere, garbage is seldom collected. Never drive there. It is anarchy basically. The south has a very different mentality to the north. They do whatever they want.

I highly recommend Siracusa, home of Archimedes, Taormina, Giardini Naxos on the Greek side of Sicily. WOnderful!!!

• February 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

How are the siscilian women towards foreign men Annie.

• February 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hi Kate,
    i’m an italian man and i can give you some advises 🙂
    Italians love the girls, expecially foreing girls 🙂
    My advise is go in Italy in spring and in summer expecially because in this crisis moment the men are thinking in these dark months…and in Italy there is a right proverb that say that “the pe*is not want thinking :)”
    I love in Romagna and Marche region and in summer it is a good place for find good men that want know foreing women for flirt or for long relaptionship.
    Here arrived girls every year and if in 1960′ until 1990’s there were many England, Scandinavian, German, Holland, Austria girls…now they are more Russian and East European girls 🙂 All change!
    I live here and i can say that there are many cities/castles/towns that are really romantic for the history and the people is really nice and openmind also if poor italian guys know this 🙂
    However if a day you would visit these places i can help you 🙂
    If you love Mega-Party there is a party for women the 6 July, it is something of incredible and if you are woman and you have a pink dress you can have many discounts. It is a mega party because it is in more cities and every city is divise in more areas…so the party is really different..from discoes beach, poems, concerts, discoes, pubs, shops open all night, swim in the sea 🙂

• March 6, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I am q00% Italian, born in Rome, and can attest that I am picky with women. Italian people carry what is known as “bella figura.” It means to present the best YOU possible. Not just physically, but confidence, respect, courtesy, and fun. It is a foundation that many people are attracted to, and inevitably envy. It means to enjoy life, to want the best for you, and stop feeling guilty for it.

Now I live in the US, and see the difference with Americans, I have no plans on becoming Americanized.

C’e` una vita, devi credere che meritivi il migliori ! “You have only one life, you must feel like you deserve the best!”

Ciao tutti !

Massimo

• October 24, 2012 at 8:21 am

Jimmyes as a mild surprise. Injuries have slowed Edwards this season and his production has been inconsistent.

The chart illustrates what the 49ers might be missing — or not missing — with Edw

• October 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Italian men….many women I’m sure have heard how supposedly amazing they are. Let me tell you that it’s not always the case. I’ve had 4 serious boyfriends since I was 20…(I’m now 34). The 4th one is my current boyfriend. He’s French, I’m totally in love with him and we’re getting married at the end of this year. My 1st boyfriend was English as am I and he treated me badly…cheated etc. He was my first sexual encounter so had nobody to compare him to. The second guy was Italian as I went to work in Italy for 6 years. He was a total mummies boy and he was CRAP in bed, the 3rd was another Italian…I’d say average in bed…and sometimes it was like he didn’t actually know what he was doing….My current French guy the love of my life has old fashioned chivalry, he’s gorgeous and he’s AMAZING in bed. Italian men are NOT all they’re cracked up to be in the bedroom department. Good looking though I’ll give them that.

• February 2, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Basically… you can’t listen to anyone! Pretty much all these comments were different from each other.
    In every country you go, you will find good looking men and ugly men, good lovers and bad lovers, faithful men and unfaithful men… everything you just read is based on everyone’s PERSONAL thoughts and experiences.. No stereotype from any country is ever true.

• March 30, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m Asian and I’ve dated 3 Italian men. They are all different. Probably the only thing that they have in common is they all speak Italian lol :-). Every person is different for sure but my general impression of Italian men is that they are attractive and they have a certain charisma that is very endearing.