16 thoughts on “Feeling Manipulated by Suicide Threats?

• November 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Words are very powerful,so powerful in a sense that it can change a person’s perspective in a heartbeat based on the words that may be exchanged. The maniuplation of a person who is sudicial is a very powerful and a overwhelming expereince that has left many misconceptions on the idea of who is actually serious about commiting sudice and who is commiting a publicity stunt. Even If you are unsure If the persoon is serious or not steps should be takn to ensure that the safety of their life is in order. Many peole brush off the most common premediatary symtoms of suicide such as depression and anger but yet still find themselves shocked when they see that someone they know has commited this act. in order for us to grow and understand the true logic behind this act we as a society must address these solutions in order to save a person’s life.

• February 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

Their is a fine line and there are people who use the threat there of to get over on people. It is selfish at its best.

• March 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm

What about this? Married couple I know:
    Man and woman are married 3 years. Woman has boyfriend (married, but in difficult divorce), who she calls real husband for 2 years.
    Woman gets caught over 10 times by husband. Every time caught husband rewards (after argument) with financial reward. Lots of money and a quarter of a million dollar house. Boyfriend has similar (high)income compared to husband. Woman keeps seeing boyfriend. Boyfriend takes woman on holiday. Husband agrees after argument; woman goes ‘alone’ on holiday. Woman gets caught again with boyfriend, but again not red handed. Husband blames boyfriend.
    Husband and wife move to other city near canadian border, 3 hrs from boyfriends house in canada.
    Woman visits boyfriend three weeks during business trip of husband. Roaming of telephone shows on monthly invoice and boyfriend number in boyfriends country shows up over 100 times on invoice. Husband angry, but forgives. Woman know only 1 person in canada: boyfriend. Husband knows this.
    Boyfriend asks woman why not leave husband and end this life of lies. Woman answers that husband threatens to kill himself if she leaves since first day they met.

The intro in the shortest possible way I could think of to picture the situation. It is not about the soap-like relationship, but about the husband. In my mind there is something really disturbed about the man. Brief description of man: specialist in his work, feels he is only one keeping company running, complains about his ‘idiot’ colleagues, used by company, always talks about money he can spend, likes to show off he has money, bought love of woman, married 2 times before; one wife cheated other turned mad.

Besides being blind, there is more wrong with this man. Any disorders to be found?
    I would guess this man is potentially the ‘one-day-it-is-too-much-and-snap’ person and decides to shoot his wife and children first, before taking his own life? Borderline or worse?

By the way: I am the boyfriend and really fear for my future wife and the children. One of the children is mine (DNA proven) other one calls me daddy.
    I don’t need to be judged on what is going on, because we (woman and I) realize that what we are doing is not pretty and definitely not what we had in mind. That husband is angry with me/us soon, I can very well understand. (to be honest the story is more complex, but not relevant to mental issue of husband).

• April 25, 2016 at 11:56 am

Sounds like pure manipulation all around and complete unhappiness for everyone. No love can be worth all this drama. Have things improved?

• June 27, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Sounds like he needs professional help. By the description you gave, he could have underlying psychological disorder that hasn’t been diagnosed. The wife needs to understand that if he does attempt to take his life, that isn’t her fault. That is his choice. She ins’t threatening homicide. He is threatening suicide. Big difference.

• December 22, 2018 at 8:21 am

Haha, as if you really care wether he kills himself or not, I mean you are already porking his wife. If she wants to have sex with other people she should get a divorce. Simple. If she doesn’t then you only have yourselves to blame.

• March 25, 2016 at 8:40 am

My son’s wife told him last night that he was pushing her into suicide, because he can’t keep the house clean with four children. He lost his dad to suicide Christmas night 2015, and I begged him not to marry her, but he did because he wanted his children to grow up with a mother and a father, I thought was a lame reason. When she doesn’t get her way she calls me or my dad, or her father. It is a bad situation because she and my son has three kids together, but I swear there is something not right in her head, every job she has had she has found a medical reason to leave, this time it pertains to her feet. She tells my son that he could be a stay at home dad, but now she has found a way to be off at work.

• July 5, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Why do you say it’s about him. What if it’s her that feels that way because of parents, job, substance abuse, etc? I don’t feel that way because I see a broader future and she has to be the buzz kill that can’t see anything in her life but negatives and taking advantage of her situation?

• September 5, 2016 at 4:58 pm

My son called his children and told them they would never see him anymore. Then I get a call from his ex-girlfriend saying someone called and said he is in the hospital. But he is not in the hospital. He does this suicide threat to manipulate her. Not sure what to do here. He makes threats, but I don’t want to be lured into the manipulation web?

• June 27, 2017 at 11:16 pm

I’m dealing with similar issues with my 13 year old son. He has mental and psychological issues. He’s been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, ADHD and ODD (Oppositional defiant disorder) to name a few. He has a history of self harm and suicide attempts. He has recently started using the threat of suicide to get his way.

Example: There were 4 days of school left. Friday, Monday through Wednesday. I had told him that he didn’t have to go to school the last three days since they weren’t doing anything in class and it had been approved by the school since we live in another district. He called me on Friday saying he was vomiting everywhere and I needed to come get him. I got an email from his teacher saying he told her he had diarrhea. He didn’t mention vomiting to her, and didn’t mention diarrhea to me. He has a history of not telling the truth and when asked about the discrepancy, he couldn’t get his story straight. I told him that weekend that since he wasn’t honest with me and was just trying to get out of class, he had to go to school the last three days. This started a big argument where he informed me that he wasn’t going to school. When I replied “Yes you are.” He responded with “No, I’m not. I’ll be dead by then.” This isn’t the first time he’s done this either. In the past I’ve let him get away with things because he threatened to hurt himself. It’s become a vicious cycle.

He’s been in a psychiatric facility 3 times in the last year… He’s there right now after a meltdown at a department store because I wouldn’t buy him a game. He completely flipped out and when we tried to carry him to the car (My faience carried him.), he started screaming for help telling people that we were kidnapping him. Now my faience is the bad guy and my son is telling me that if I don’t leave him, he’s going to kill himself. He’s telling the doctors that he will not come home. I got a call from the facility earlier today saying that they had no reason to keep him since he was stable, but that he’s still saying he won’t stay home. I’m in a state of constant fear of what will happen next. I know that when he hurts himself, it isn’t my fault. I do everything in my power to make sure that he doesn’t do these things. I make sure he knows that I love him and make sure he has everything he needs. It seems that it is never enough.

• February 2, 2018 at 12:27 pm

One of the teenagers at work says he’s going to kill himself someday every time he works. The managers don’t really seem to know how to respond and it can get pretty awkward because he’ll say stuff like, “In my note, I’m going to put you (whoever he happens to be arguing with at the time) as the reason I kill myself.” I’m pretty sure he’s said something similar a few times when he’s done something that’s made them contemplate firing him.

• February 2, 2018 at 12:29 pm

And if they called 911 every time he made such a comment, it would literally be at the very least three times in a shift.

• August 26, 2018 at 9:16 am

I’m glad I read this text. My mother has been threatening with suicide since I was about 8 years old. Her life has been difficult and she’s often depressed, which I understand. But it has honestly ruined my childhood, constantly worrying about her and constantly being under pressure to perform well in all aspects of my life. The tiniest slip-up (like not getting an A on something) could lead to her saying things like: “You were my only reason to live and now that’s gone”.

She didn’t do this with my older brother who was more rebellious and she would always burden me with problems she had with him (and anything else) because she claimed I was the only one she could confide in.

I’m 28 now and this text tells me that I have done what I could. Over the last 2 years or so, I’ve had long talks with her, gently explaining how her behavior has affected me and how I love her and want to help but I can’t live my life for her. She understands and agrees (or pretends to) until the next episode where she blames me for things wrong in her life and threatens with suicide again. I’m numb to this at this point. I know I’ve clearly communicated my feelings to her and if she chooses to ignore them, then that’s completely on her.

I still struggle with feelings of guilt when I don’t do more for her, but doing more would mean becoming engulfed in her problems and not having a life of my own – and my life has already suffered a lot from this.

I now think that everyone should put themselves and love themselves first, because nobody can love and understand you as deeply and fully as you love and understand yourself. I’ve chosen this path and, while I of course want my mother to live and be happy, I know that I can’t affect her choices and I’m slowly starting to be at peace with that.

• September 29, 2018 at 12:04 am

I’ve met this amazing woman. She has 3 children 21,18 and 12. Shes been divorced over 10 years and her ex has remarried. The 21 and 18 year olds are out of the house but very much want their mother to be happy.
    Recently the 12 year old told my girlfriend that everytime she closes her eyes she thinks about suicide or she dreams about being dead. But it seems it all involves thoughts of my girlfriend and I spending time together. The child and I have never had any issues and that what makes this confusing. We laugh a lot and have fun but then all of a sudden she becomes possessive of her mom.i think the threat of suicide is being used to manipulate the mom from being happy with me,but cannot take the threat for granted. Seeking helpful ideas
    This woman and I love each other,but the child is trying to sabotage our happiness

• January 3, 2019 at 6:46 pm

My son, whom since 16 has been a drain on his family, and friends. Been to prison, and have lived with support, his entire life. He is 34, and living on his own, with financial support. Never a day passes without some kind of drama, and as his mother, I take all the daily doses of his trouble. He has threathen to kill himself, I didn’t “help” him MONEY, MONEY, AND MORE MONEY.
    I have decided about four days ago to not communicate with him, and his demands, which in turn has proved to be more and more threats and have now included his sisters in this act of harm. They are worried, but know he struggles with many mental health issues, and a user of drugs, and not a real go getter. He thinks he is owed everything, and I have turned my back on him, which each time, I help, with more MONEY. I have come to the end of the line, and need help with his threats. What kind of counseling can I get has his mother?

• June 18, 2019 at 2:21 pm

I have the same issues, did you find help for yourself? I find this very hard to find the right person