7 thoughts on “The Impact of Partner Anxiety on Your Relationship

• August 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

Since we do not have access to the questions, it is difficult for me to understand what “nearly three times more likely to avoid being intimate with their romantic partners” might mean. Intimacy is normally characterized by mutual disclosure and feelings of closeness and familiarity. However, many people use the euphamism of “being intimate” as a way to say have sex or be sexual. I think it is important to be specific, especially when reporting something that is supposed to be scientific, even if it is only a survey. So, this is interesting information, but I don’t know what it means or what it meant to the people who answered the question.

• August 18, 2011 at 12:31 am

It took me a long time to see the pattern: my very anxious husband would pick fights with me so he could sull up and have an excuse to stay home from social situations. I went to more events by myself married than before or after!

• August 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

This article is relevant to me since I have been diagnosed with GAD. I am aware that this condition goes along with some social awkwardness on my part. My boyfriend tends to be aloof and I just let it ride. I avoid arguments and, worst of all, I do not bring up issues that bother me. My avoidance behaviors just make my symptoms worse. Even though I am aware of this, in my intellect, I am still locked into my own maladaptive behaviors. One idea I have is to write a script that will help me address one specific issue. I can practice in front of the mirror and then go and tell him that I would like to work towards being more intimate with one another. Wow! That sounds so simple. It remains to be seen whether we both want more intimacy and will we both take steps toward improving intimacy in our relationship. I put a lot of stock in these kinds of performance improvement issues and really what scares me is that he might say no. I would interpret that I am not worth the investment.

• February 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Is there a web site for support groups of people who have a spouse with anxiety. Looking for support/vent.

• April 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Well, my wife is reading this article now that I told her I think I might have an anxiety disorder. If you have an anxiety disorder the worst thing you can do is share it with your spouse , they will find articles like this one. From this article they get 10 cents worth of psychology and no follow up. Telling someone they are a victim because they have a spouse with anxiety disorder is beyond irresponsible.

• August 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm

My spouse has had anxiety for a long time – she constantly worries about all sorts of things out of her control. Then one day she came to me and said she wasn’t sure she wanted to be married anymore, and all she can offer me right now is friendship. She has completely shut down emotionally, and I have no idea what the cause is. This has gone on for a long time, while I’ve tried to be patient and hope something would change.

Since then she has been diagnosed with GAD. I don’t know if the emotional shut down is related to the GAD or if it’s something different, and as of yet I haven’t seen anything to indicate that GAD could cause this sort of behaviour.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

• May 27, 2015 at 6:31 am

A very interesting article! Can you tell me the source/title/author of the original paper? Thank you!