10 thoughts on “Cognitive Distortions That Contribute To Negative Body Image & Eating Disorders

• October 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

I can relate to all of them, too well. They are all too familiarly and exactly what I am working on in recovery at the moment. I couldn’t pick one that I do more than another, and they are SO destructive. To break these cognitive distortions will to break free from my eating disorder.

• October 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm

@ Sarah, the great thing is that you’re aware of your thoughts and you’re working through them. I wish you all the best with your treatment!

• October 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I am definitely an all or nothing type of person, but luckily I don’t have an eating disorder. I have Bipolar Disorder and PTSD and am also learning about these cognitive distortions in therapy. It’s great your educating people with eating disorders on how your thoughts affect your body image.

• October 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

@ Parwathy Narayan, everyone definitely struggles with cognitive distortions from time to time, regardless of whether they have an eating disorder or another condition.

• October 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I am all of these. EVERY SINGLE ONE! I’ve been addressing mind reading and all or nothing thinking the most because its so easy for me to write people off because of a)their inability to communicate in a way that I can hear and b)my inability to speak up and say what I think and feel.

I think that this is a great reminder for life. Not everything we think is true. Its just a thought, something, that like the rest of life, can be analyzed, broken down, or completely written off. Our actions are what matter. I also love that every moment of every day is a chance to do things differently. If I struggled with my eating this morning, I don’t have to struggle at lunch because I “ruined” my day.

• October 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm

@ Candace, I love this: “every moment of every day is a chance to do things differently.” Thank you for such an important reminder!! And you hit on another key point: Just because we have a certain thought doesn’t mean we have to act on it. We can accept that we’re having it but choose to behave in a positive, healthy way.

• October 9, 2011 at 1:08 am

Oooh, so true, so true. I’ve gotten better with most of these — all-or-nothing thinking still hangs on a bit, though! It’s so important for others to see lists like this, though, so they can recognize their own behaviors and work toward freeing their minds!

• October 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

@ Julia, the all-or-nothing thinking is tough for me, too. The key is definitely to be aware of these thoughts and how they impact us – and then not to let them affect our behavior.

• October 11, 2011 at 8:35 am

I have borderline personality disorder and can relate hugely to this. Thank you for putting my thoughts into words, suddenly it’s a bit easier to make sense of the way I sometimes think. I just wish logic would step to the fore sometimes instead of letting the delusion step in; especially when it comes to the belief that people are talking about me, or judging my behaviour and appearance. I suppose it’s all part of dealing with mental illness. Thank you for a very interesting, informative post.

• October 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

@ halfwaybetweenthegutter, you’re welcome! I think the key is that it takes time and practice to become aware of these thoughts and then to work through them. For many of us, they’re deeply entrenched. You’ve been thinking them for so long that it’s become this insidious habit. But just being aware of them and not letting them direct your behavior is huge.