14 thoughts on “How To Stop Comparing Yourself To Others

• September 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Thank you so much for the mention my dear. That is one of my very favorite post, partially because it is just so salient in every aspect of my life! Your writing here is so clear and engaging – THANK YOU.

• September 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

@ Mara, you’re welcome, and thank you! 🙂 I just could relate so much to your post.

• September 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I constantly compare myself…especially if i am taking a jog or at the gym. I am very self conscious and i really need to get over that crap!

• September 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm

@ KC, I totally know what you mean! Sal at Already Pretty wrote an awesome post on body image and the gym, and I’ve been thinking about this being self-conscious at the gym. While I try my best to focus on my workouts, I also find myself comparing myself. Not always, but here and there. For me, it’s comparing myself to how fast or how strong other women are. But if you think about it, that’s our time to really enjoy ourselves and enjoy moving our bodies. I like Leo’s tips about just telling yourself to stop. Maybe you can tell yourself that that’s your time, and you deserve better – whatever is most helpful to you.

• September 4, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thanks for that!! I will try to just focus on “me” when i go there….you know what, chances are, no one else really pays attention to me at the gym anyway 🙂

• September 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Thank you. These are great things to take with me and use! Body comparison is greatly debilitating. Sometimes (rarely, but I am trying!) using cost benefit helps me to stop because I know where it goes.

• December 14, 2011 at 11:00 am

This is one of the core things that brings misery to my life. And the thing that wakes me up the most is that I AM PUTTING MYSELF IN A CORNER by thinking this way. Do I want to be in the corner? No!

In fact, in order to be more ‘competitive’ (i.e. have a life that is just as good as anyone else’s), I need to be LESS comparative.

Go figure!

• December 23, 2011 at 2:25 am

This was a useful article. Thank you. I compare myself way too much, so much that I often get crippled in all the negative thoughts it causes. Hopefully what I have read will be useful, and perhaps ultimately help at least a bit in resolving this problem.

• January 3, 2012 at 12:27 am

knowing my uniqueness doesn’t make my butt look better.

• January 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

@ Dee, it might not but it makes you realize that having a certain type of butt a) isn’t that important and b) doesn’t dictate your self worth.

• January 20, 2012 at 2:21 am

I am on a self discovering journey, and reading this really made me that much more appreciative towards myself AND others. I have been criticizing myself and putting others down around me when they have something good going on in their life. I am not in the best situation right now, but i am not in the worst. I think the most challenging thing is stop comparing myself to others, but i do recognize i am AWARE of it now and have been for awhile. I just had to take action in how to stop, and reading this REALLY really helped. Now i have a even better understanding in which to stop this bad habit. Thank you for this so much!

• May 2, 2015 at 12:31 am

Thankyou margarita! Very beneficial blog! I felt very relieved after reading this. I am also a victim of this bad habit….few comparisons have quited…still a long way to go..now i am confident and have belief in myself that i know the way out now to fight this inner demon…..love you, god bless u…..

• May 7, 2015 at 12:31 pm

@ akila, you’re welcome! I’m so glad this post was helpful to you and that you’re in a healthier place.

• June 29, 2020 at 3:24 pm

I really enjoyed this post. This year especially, counting my blessings has been a game-changer for me.