15 thoughts on “The 7 Vital Types Of Self-Care

• May 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

What an amazing post – so many wonderful resources! Have book marked it so I can come back again and finish looking through them all!
    Self care is something I thought I did as I rushed around taking care of everyone else and slowing starving to death without noticing. So I’m noticing now. And for me, at this point in time, self care is reminding myself that I am worth the effort of serving up a meal for myself, and worth the time it takes to eat that meal – regardless of what is going on around me.

• May 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

@ PJ, thank you! That’s awesome that you’ve changed your view on self-care. I hate that self-care is viewed as something selfish (I used to think the same thing), because it isn’t at all. We have to make sure that we’re OK before we can give to others; not to mention that self-care is key to health and well-being. When we’re healthy, we can provide better for others, too. So happy that you’ve made the shift!

• May 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

Wow! I love this idea of seven types of self-care–totally expands my horizons. Thanks for this!

• May 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm

@ Anna, you’re welcome! πŸ™‚ It totally expanded my (very limited past) understanding of self-care.

• May 25, 2011 at 11:13 am

Margarita, this is such an EXCELLENT post. I love it, truly. Thank you so much for pulling together so many fantastic resources. xoxoox

• May 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

@ Marzipan, thanks so much! πŸ™‚ As soon as I read the article I knew that I had to share it with Weightless readers. I’d never thought of self-care as being these many layers, all of which are key to our health.

• May 25, 2011 at 11:59 am

Thanks so much for the shout-out, my dear!

• May 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Wow, this is so helpful! Thank you for providing such a comprehensive and yet still concrete way of thinking about self-care and all of its facets.

• May 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm

You just expanded my definition of self care — thank you. Seriously, I sort of knew most of these things but reading it made me realize it’s not an incidental thing, and no wonder I burn out when I don’t do these things.

• May 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for this amazing list. It’s the holistic self care holy grail!! I will be referring to it often as I keep rebuilding my definitions of health.

• May 25, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Love, love this Margarita. Just brilliant.

• May 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

Beautiful article–thanks for all the great resources. The concept of self-care was first introduced to me in Renee Trudeau’s book, “The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal” and I can’t tell you how empowering it felt to know that I was worth it…that self-care was imperative to my overall well-being (as well as my family’s). So, self-care to me is walking around our neighborhood pond in the morning, asking for help, making time to do things that energize me (photography, piano, art), and learning to say no to things that drain me.