14 thoughts on “When Your Self-Worth is Wrapped Around Your Weight (and 7 Ways to Unwrap It)

• January 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Thank you so much, Melissa! That’s so awesome to hear! I hope you know that it means a lot.

I was just saying that I get nervous both before and after pressing “publish” on these posts. ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 16, 2010 at 4:05 am

This really is helpful,im struggling w/a weight gain that has left me feeling sad and less worthy of myself.Ive been through a lot in the pasr 5 months and im just starting over.But food became my comfort.Now that things r slowly getting more stable in my life i am ready 2 loose the weight and want 2 regain my self confidence.Your tips are very helpful and i dont feel so alone.TY 4 this gift!

• January 16, 2010 at 8:16 am

I was going to group sessions which helped believe more in myself . Your comments on how one to look at themselves was a tremendous help and I will look at today with a better self worth I have gained weight,but today I will smile and be thankful I can eat healthier,make better choices and I am loosing since I have made these choices .One again thank you for the self encouragement . I will be doing this more positive self worth more often.

• January 16, 2010 at 9:29 am

Very thought-provoking and insightful! And something that I think needs daily attention (at least in my life!) Thanks for the inspiration!

• January 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

Great article – very thought provoking – a new way to look at oneself. Thank you.

• January 16, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thank you for this article. I have been overweight a very long time and it’s refreshing to read an article by someone who has overcome and been successful at separating self worth and weight. I will refer to it often.

• January 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I realized that once I truly determined my deepest goals and desires for my life and focused on reaching those, I felt a lot better about myself. And it’s not just thinking I will reach those goals it is knowing I will reach them, because I am willing to do what it takes to get there. My goals do include helping others, so that may help me feel better about myself too. I just think that once you realize how many people you can help and bless by being you, you will start to like yourself a lot more.

• January 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hi Margarita,

Thank you for your advice. I will use it and will pass it on to my son. This will make us more resilient to any negative remarks on our appearance from others regardless of who it is.

• January 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm

thank you so much for this article. this is what i have been looking for..i have been struggling with my weight and it always made me feel inferior.thank you for seperating weight form worth..now i feel i can do anything.

• January 16, 2010 at 11:13 pm

thank you this was very informative. a couple of years back i lost 50 pounds felt good and thought i would be happier. i wasnt, i relized i did not have to lose weight to be happy. I have a loving husband that loves me for me, a wounderful children and faboulous grandchildren. they are what makes be happy

• January 18, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Thank you everyone so much for your comments! I appreciate you sharing your stories here. And the positive feedback means so much.

@ CJ – this is inspiring: “I just think that once you realize how many people you can help and bless by being you, you will start to like yourself a lot more.”

@ Judy, what a great realization. Having people who support and love you unconditionally is key. I’m so glad that you have that in your life. And your comment speaks to the importance of taking the time to think about what makes us truly happy.

@ Deborah, it’s amazing how when we begin to respect and appreciate ourselves, we start taking better care of ourselves. We start eating healthier and doing nice things for ourselves and we’re just happier in general. How awesome that you’re doing that!

@ Jackie, I’m still working on having thicker skin. But as long as you stop that automatic thinking that you aren’t good enough after hearing someone’s outright mean remark, you’re already making strides. I’m so glad you’ll be sharing this with your son.

I don’t know when it is that for many of us the connection between weight and self-worth was started and solidified. But the important thing is to realize it and move past it, even if it’s something we work toward every day.

Thanks again for all of your insightful comments!

• January 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Hi I read the article and thought that it was indeed something that both men and women battle almost everyday. So thank you for information. Keep dishing it out.