9 thoughts on “The Personas We Create That Paralyze Us

• April 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

A persona that I developed as a child is that I have no endurance and that I don’t finish what I start. In hindsight (and with some recent information I was given), I now understand that these supposed traits of mine are not true! It was just a matter of finding the right avenue to develop them!

• April 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

@ Karen, thanks for sharing that! I can definitely relate to your persona. That’s how I feel about my persona of a non-athlete. It’s just that I hadn’t discovered the activities that I really liked. Having that persona weighing me down meant that I didn’t give myself the opportunity to discover those activities years ago.

• April 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

That I am not nor ever will be able to run. I can dance, do pilates or yoga, but my body cannot run. Well I am proving that wrong with every time I try. Today did 20 minutes straight. So booya inner monster 🙂

• April 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

@ Kendra, that’s awesome! I’m glad that you were able to shut up those limiting beliefs!

• April 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

A persona that I created for myself was that I wasn’t strong and that I couldn’t defend myself. I just finished taking a self defense (impactpersonalsaefty) and really proved myself wrong!! Now I look forward to taking more of their self defense courses and future proving to myself that I can defend myself!

• April 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm

@ Candace, that’s so cool! It’s great that you decided to squash that false belief. I bet self-defense courses are so empowering.

• April 22, 2011 at 8:14 am

I’ve recently been thinking about this in regards to me and to my children, because I realize that their self-image is so often shaped by messages they get from parents–that they’re smart or active or shy. I love the idea that we get to shed our various and inaccurate personas over the course of our lives, and to embody who we truly are. And I especially love that we can surprise ourselves by jumping in to something new–for me this would be my experience as a blogger!

• April 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm

@ Dana, that’s a great point! For parents, how they communicate with their kids can definitely create different personas. As if parenting isn’t hard enough! 🙂

• April 23, 2011 at 4:57 am

Such a great post! I so deeply relate to this. I’m a master of only letting people see the strong side of me. And interestingly it is this outward strength that is my greatest hinderence to recovery. But I am learning to let my guard down around those I trust…just a couple of people, just in the last week. So a little challenge to try to help me move forward 🙂