8 thoughts on “An Effective Way to Help You End Emotional Eating

• December 16, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I love the idea of an inspiration box! I would add in mine to spend 10 minutes or so meditating while doing some deep breathing, this is very effective in relaxing yourself and making you feel more centered. Another effective technique is visualizing and seeing yourself in the achievement of a goal that you have set for yourself. In this case the goal may be how you successfully overcame the urge to emotionally eat, doing something healthy for yourself instead.

• December 16, 2009 at 2:39 pm

@ Melonie, thanks so much for your suggestions! I have a tough time meditating mostly because I have 80 thoughts running through my head at once. 🙂 Being still isn’t easy but something I’d like to get better at.

• December 16, 2009 at 9:22 pm

We have long recommended this but call it the Green Mountain cookie jar. It’s been a great technique for many women over the years.

• December 17, 2009 at 11:07 am

@ Marsha, I love the title! I’m glad to hear that it’s helpful for many women. It’s a fantastic technique, and I think it can be applied to other body image issues as well.

• December 17, 2009 at 2:17 pm

what a good idea,but, what suggestions do you have
    for a person who eats in the middle of the night.
    sometimes half asleep.

• December 17, 2009 at 2:58 pm

@ Janet, that’s a great question! And a problem that so many people have. I found several suggestions from the co-author of “Overcoming Night Eating Syndrome.” Not saying this is what you have, but night-time eating is a symptom of NES. Here’s the link to the CBS article: http://tinyurl.com/yfhzftj

It sounds like you might be having trouble sleeping, since you’re waking up in the middle of the night in the first place. Have you tried working on getting a sounder sleep?

The National Sleep Foundation has some good tips here: http://tinyurl.com/ygtkhuy

Is this sorta helpful? I’ll think more about this, too.

Anyone have suggestions for dealing with night-time eating?

• December 17, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Loved this post and love this resource! Thank you for letting us know about it! Your posts are always great!

• December 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm

@ Dr. Shepphird, thanks so much!I’m so glad you liked it!

Would you have any tips for overcoming night-time eating?

Also, everyone, Dr. Shepphird has an awesome blog on eating disorders. She has over 20 years of experience working with individuals with eating disorders and her blog is very informative: