7 thoughts on “Healthy Ways to Cope With Negative Thoughts

• April 4, 2014 at 11:40 am

I am fortunate to have ‘stumbled’ on to this piece while researching the new breakthrough medication GLYX-13 for treatment of depression.
    In my case, and I believe many others, constant negative thinking causes and fuels depression. For many years, family members have told me to stop being so negative in thought.
    Recently, I began to experience racing negative thoughts when I awoke from a nights sleep for several days. These thoughts began to become out of control and I could not stop them.
    After training myself to think a positive thought when I awake, I find myself less depressed than in the past.
    I still suffer from TRD and anxiously await the release of GLYX-13 which offers much hope as it appears to help restore/repair brain synapses damaged by stress which, along with my prevalent negative thoughts, have experienced my entire life.
    I long to feel normal again. Depression is a very serious disease and affects my life greatly but attempting to think positive thoughts helps me and controlling negative thinking will help others, I believe, in battling depression.

• April 5, 2014 at 12:18 am

@ Halseyjr, Depression is definitely a serious disease. And finding healthy ways to change and challenge negative thoughts is soo important, especially in managing depression. I’m glad that working on your thoughts has been helpful. Thank you for sharing your experience!

• April 4, 2014 at 9:43 pm

” tracking our thoughts, *all of them*”.
    Really?
    There is no way that I could possibly track all of my thoughts.
    There are simply too many in such rapidity, I could not possibly keep track.
    I am amazed that there are those who actually accomplish that feat.

• April 4, 2014 at 10:07 pm

@PoorPrincess, I didn’t mean literally all thoughts. I meant all types of thoughts — negative, positive and neutral thoughts. I should have been more specific. But you definitely don’t need to track everything (and like you said, it’s just not possible). The post I linked to has more info on the exercise I suggest.

• April 5, 2014 at 8:18 am

I found the practice of Mindfulness meditation to be very effective in seeing my thoughts as mental events and NOT engaging in them, but merely observing them. No matter how many thoughts come, the practice teaches you to just observe them and not engage them at all. Very liberating once you do this for a while.

• April 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm

@ Zentastic, yes, I absolutely agree about mindfulness. It’s a powerful practice for living life in general — and so liberating to know that you can disengage with your negative thoughts. This way these thoughts don’t have much pull — whether in affecting our mood or our actions.