7 thoughts on “Dealing With Guilty Feelings

• November 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

The article’s author’s guilt examples are quite alienating and shallow. However I will be looking into the book.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I had to laugh at the examples used. I suppose this is the guilt that many people feel, but I would love to see a discussion of the kind of guilt that is deep-seated and nags away for years and years, eroding your sense of self-worth. This is the kind that is most difficult to cope with in my opinion. I don’t have a lot of guilt over enjoying French fries or relaxing.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

@ Marcella + @ Serotonin sunshine, guilt can manifest in many ways. I can tell you that the guilt I’ve experienced surrounding food and exercise has been anything but shallow. And it can be very much deep-seated and erode self-worth. This is true for many people.

Here, on Weightless I focus on body image, eating and self-care. This is why I chose to share those kinds of examples. However, I can definitely look into other types of guilt that individuals feel. I appreciate you sharing your perspective.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm

This is my mistake, I failed to notice the blog title of “Weightless” and the focus contained therein. I do understand that guilt about food and exercise is anything but shallow for many people. I am so glad this blog exists to support those who struggle with body image and eating. I struggle with other issues but it doesn’t make them any more important. Thank you again for clarifying.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm

@ Marcella, not a problem! Guilt is definitely an important topic. I also write articles for our main blog, World of Psychology. I’m happy to write a piece on how to navigate deep-seated guilt as a whole (and interview several experts). Let me know if you have any specific questions you’d like answered.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm

That would be amazing! Two of the things I am most interested in are how to deal with guilt arising from being fired from a job and knowing that you made mistakes. The other thing that keeps me up at night is feelings of guilt for being healthy, having money and living a privileged life in a first world country. I have struggled with this since I was a child. I have tried volunteering and donating money but it only helps temporarily.

• November 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

@ Marcella, I’ll definitely look into those. In the meantime you might like this piece on Psych Central about dealing with guilt in general:

This piece from Jen Louden also speaks to the guilt you feel about living a privileged life (it doesn’t exactly get at the deep-seated part but it offers an interesting perspective): http://jenniferlouden.com/time-give-privileged-guilt-boot/

I hope those help a bit.