8 thoughts on “Ditching Women’s Magazines For Positive Publications

• October 27, 2012 at 11:47 am

I remember many (many!) years ago reading one of the standard fashion magazines when my husband at the time innocently asked, “why do you read those, they always seem to make you feel worse about yourself?”. And for whatever reason at that moment, I was receptive to the wisdom of his remark, and stopped reading them.. all. I still look back and am a bit shocked at the impact and insight of that moment. I’d had enough. And knew that the effect of those images was always going to reinforce “not enough”.. which was clearly not a great dynamic to willingly entertain.

Having worked in the field of eating related issues/body image for 25 years, I know there is so much beauty that fills us up rather than depletes and demoralizes us. Discernment.. knowing which is which.. is a big deal.

I love anything with color.. love the decorating magazines, some of the entertaining/cooking magazines, and especially ripping out the best pages and keeping a file of inspirational beauty in a big shopping bag to pull out when I need to immerse myself in my senses.. I still like to “look at the pictures.”

I believe that women who land in the food/weight struggles tend to be more sensual, are more sensitive/empaths and need to fill up more regularly in all their senses.

Hold out for true nourishment in what you read, as with everything else!

Love and blessings,
    Lisa/IntuitiveBody

• October 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm

@ Lisa, I love those magazines, too! And I love your point about filling up by using all our senses. I think many of us just gravitate toward those magazines because they’re everywhere, and we think we need to do those things in order to take up space. But it’s empowering to know that we don’t. at all. And we can spend our time and money on things that, like you said, truly fill us up. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!!

• October 28, 2012 at 7:25 am

I never read those magazines: I mean how many articles can you read about how to tie a scarf, lose 20 pounds in a week, diet, exercise and makeup tips; if you are past teenage years, you should know that stuff!

I read Down East (magazine of Maine), where I am from

• October 28, 2012 at 11:33 pm

@ Alice, that’s a good point: Those magazines are pretty repetitive. I think it’s a great idea to read magazines that focus on your city or state. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• October 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm

A couple favorite magazines (that have print editions):
    Mamalode – called “America’s best parenting magazine” by the founder of BlogHer

Brain, Child – like the title says, having the one doesn’t preclude having the other!

Bust – A fun and forward thinking feminist mag

• October 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

@ Grace, thanks for sharing these! I always love learning about publications that are actually interesting and informative.

• October 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Love all of these magazine recommendations Margarita! Have to add, “Whole Living.” It’s my favorite pub because it offers a healthy well-rounded perspective, not a diet focused one.

• October 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm

@ Brandi, thanks! I’ve only bought Whole Living a few times, and I remember their photographs are really pretty. 🙂