We know that the morning has a big impact on the rest of our day, and starting with an empowering affirmation can really help. Because how we talk to ourselves matters. It shifts our mindset—for better or worse.
We can be inspired—or we can feel deflated. We can welcome the day—or we can dread it.
Of course, we are complex, complicated beings, and we can hold a range of emotions and stories inside our hearts. But the words we say do have a significant effect on us (and those around us).
As Jennifer Williamson writes in her book Morning Affirmations: 200 Phrases for an Intentional and Openhearted Start to Your Day, “As you trade thoughts like ‘I don’t want to do this day’ for thoughts like ‘I am ready to do my best,’ you begin to embody the qualities of a brighter reality.” Williamson is the creator of the powerful site HealingBrave.com.
Below, you’ll find some of my favorites from Morning Affirmations, which is filled with beautiful, self-compassionate words. Pick an affirmation that speaks to you, and say it aloud every morning. Or adapt it, so it really feels like your own. Or use these phrases to inspire you to come up with something completely different. Maybe you even build a small ritual around your phrase, such as lighting a candle, putting on some calming music, and taking 5 minutes to check in with yourself.
- “I believe in my ability to figure things out. My growth is entwined with my positive state of mind. Everything I need is attainable, and I am capable of learning anything I really want to learn. I focus on what I can do from here: I can believe in myself.”
- “My body is a blessing. I give my body the blessing of respect. Birth equipped me with this self-healing system that allows me to breathe, break, repair, and discover the universe from a unique point of view. My body is a precious expression of an otherwise visible miracle.”
- “Sunshine is my shaman. I imagine a seamstress of golden light connecting me to my innermost truth and I feel a little more whole again. At my core I am wise and wildly alive. All my wounds, kissed by the light, are transformed into guides, gifts, and newfound strength.”
- “I learn how to see with new eyes. I am never too experienced or lost to see life again for the very first time. I open my eyes once more and rise with a renewed heart. Like the dawn, I remake the world, this time a little bit brighter.”
- “I pay attention to what I want to grow. I can control what I focus on, so I focus on what I can control. I strengthen the feelings that I want to last; I tell myself only things that I want to come true. Life elevates what I pay attention to.”
- “This moment is my life. I move more deeply and quietly this morning. The energy underneath the noise and movement asks only for me to join it. I do not will this moment to be something that it’s not. I inhale what is, receiving everything this life has to give.”
- “I prioritize the way I want to live. I choose the beliefs, rituals, and relationships that nurture my deepest peace and joy. I am not waiting to live my own definition of success. I am alive with a genuine interest in being here—as I intend to be.”
- “I embrace the beautiful messes. Life is transition—not straight lines or smoothness but storms and adaptation and wild flow. I dance into beautiful chaos with my loving intention. I am totally allowed to dream and play before things fall into place. Beauty can be made from just about anything.”
In the morning, it’s so easy to get tangled up in thoughts like Ughh, there’s so much to do today. It’s going to be awful. I wish I could just stay in bed all day. I’m already so behind. I really don’t want to get up. Why am I so lazy? What’s wrong with me?
Having a go-to phrase, or several phrases, reminds us instantly of what’s important. It helps us to refocus. It helps us to savor the day, to see possibility, and to pay attention to the little (but big) sparks of beauty. It reminds us of our strength and resilience. It reminds us that we can handle hard things. And that’s a vital truth to carry with us the rest of the day.