A Body Image Reminder: Your Body is Incredible
In the midst of bashing our bodies, we forget just how astonishing they are. In the midst of condemning our weight, grimacing in the mirror, trying yet another diet, hating our thighs, yearning for different traits, we simply forget.
Sometimes, it helps to have a reminder.
In the wonderful book FLAWD: How to Stop Hating on Yourself, Others, and the Things that Make You Who You Are, Emily-Anne Rigal and Jeanne Demers share a variety of facts about the human body, which are absolutely amazing and truly unbelievable. These are some of my favorites:
- Our noses can recall 50,000 different scents.
- Adults are made of 7 octillion atoms. (Have you ever even heard of “octillion”?)
- Our eyes can distinguish around 10 million different colors.
- Our brains can hold as many as 1 million-billion separate bits of information in a lifetime.
- Our bones are stronger than steel.
- Our heartbeats change and mimic the music we listen to.
- When we take just one step, we use up to 200 muscles.
- Daily, our hearts create enough energy to drive a truck for 20 miles.
- The DNA in the cells of our body, if uncoiled, would stretch 10 billion miles. Ten billion!
Every night consider the wonder that is your body. You can even look up a different fact a day. Or you might keep a list of your favorite facts, and reread them. Or you might find a creative way to illustrate and remind yourself of these facts. Because when we’re hyper-focused on our “bikini bodies” or rather our lack thereof, everything else seems to fade from view.
And yet your body is a miracle. A walking, talking, feeling, seeing, smelling, hearing, learning, dancing, doing, making, living, breathing, ever-evolving miracle. Acknowledge that from time to time. Acknowledge what it means to you to exist inside, within this magnificent miracle.
I know this might sound or feel strange or silly or hippy-dippy. But, after all, it is the truth.
P.S., A few years ago, in this piece, I shared other favorite tips from FLAWD all about embracing our flaws.
Photo by Jesse Orrico.
Tartakovsky, M. (2017). A Body Image Reminder: Your Body is Incredible. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 24, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2017/06/a-body-image-reminder-your-body-is-incredible/