Here’s a reminder that you might be needing today or this week: The smallest steps can bring positivity into your life. The smallest things can make you smile, lift your mood, inspire and uplift you, ease your overwhelm and maybe even heal your hurt.
Below are nine ways to brighten your week from Moorea Seal’s wonderful book The 52 Lists Project: A Year of Weekly Journaling Inspiration.
- Think about the people who make your life easier and happier. Write a sweet note to these individuals, or do something else thoughtful for them.
- Make a list of your favorite quotes. Then think about what these quotes have in common. Pick one quality or theme to incorporate into your week.
- Make a list of things that always cheer you up. Then circle the things you can do for yourself. As Seal writes, “You are the only owner of your happiness.”
- Think about what you typically like to do on vacation. Then think about how you can incorporate similar activities into your average days. Maybe this means creating a spa-like atmosphere in your bathroom and giving yourself a manicure and pedicure. Maybe this means trying a different restaurant on Friday nights, or making a new recipe from a different country once a week. Maybe it means reading for an hour.
- Pick one way you can rejuvenate your space, and work on it this week.
- Make a list of things you want to make. Start one of these projects this week—and set a date to finish. You’ll find great inspiration here and here.
- Make a list of things that make you laugh (e.g., people, movies, books, blogs). Then fill each day with some of these things.
- Bring one of your favorite indoor activities outside. Read a book at the park. Journal on your back porch. Skip the gym, and take a walk in your favorite neighborhood. Meditate at the beach.
- Make a list of everything you treasure most. Surround yourself with these things (and people).
Again, small steps can help us to create brighter, more nourishing days. The key is to listen to ourselves and take action.
What’s your favorite tip from this list? What almost always brightens your day? What will you do this week?