Checking in with Ourselves Regularly
On Monday, in this post, I wrote about asking ourselves questions to help us respond to our in-the-moment needs. Which is what self-care is all about. Today, I’m sharing questions we can ask ourselves to check in as a whole. Because so often we move through our days without much, if any, pausing. So often we move through our days without thinking or reflecting or being aware of ourselves and what’s happening inside us.
This is understandable and totally OK. It’s something we can work on. Simply asking a question or two can change everything. Because getting curious and asking good questions can yield powerful answers that help us navigate our days and take compassionate care of ourselves. I believe that asking ourselves questions is seeing ourselves. It is honoring ourselves. Because it sparks a dialogue. It signifies, what I say is worth listening to. It is important. My needs are important. I am important. (And they are. And you are.)
I hope these questions help you pause and give you helpful answers to get to know yourself better, to practice self-care, to cultivate meaningful days.
- Where do I ache? Physically? Emotionally? Spiritually?
- What stories am I creating about myself and what’s happening in my life?
- When do I feel most energized? Physically? Emotionally? Spiritually?
- When do I feel depleted? Physically? Emotionally? Spiritually?
- When am I exhausted?
- When am I most distracted?
- What gives me clarity?
- What do I love to do when the sun is shining and the world warms up?
- What has been bringing me comfort?
- Where do I need to stand up for myself? Where do I need to speak up?
- When was the last time I felt joy?
- What has my inner critic been saying?
- Where do I feel stuck?
- Where do I need support?
- What can make my days easier?
- What really matters to me?
- Am I prioritizing these incredibly important things?
- Where can I extend myself some kindness?
- What conversation do I need to have—with myself, with someone else?
- What am I yearning to explore, to play with?
- Am I falling? How can I catch myself?
You might pick a few questions or one question to explore in your journal. You might put on your favorite music, close your eyes, ask yourself the question and then let whatever arises be your answer. Without judgement. In other words, you might welcome what is.
Image credit: Kalina Vova/Bigstockphoto.com
Tartakovsky, M. (2016). Checking in with Ourselves Regularly. Psych Central. Retrieved on January 16, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2016/05/checking-in-with-ourselves-regularly/