Last year, in this post, I shared 15 ways you might spend your Sunday. I shared everything from carving out down time to eating mindfully to exploring your personal definition of self-care. Today, I’m sharing 15 more ideas for savoring a wonderful day, filled with the activities, objects and people that nourish you. The day doesn’t have to be Sunday. It can be any day of the week. Because we can incorporate nourishing, sweet, self-compassionate things into every day, into every moment of our lives.
- Cook your favorite meal from scratch. Instead of paying attention to calorie counts and fat grams, focus on making something that truly nourishes you. Something that speaks to all your senses. Something that awakens your taste buds, and feels like a feast.
- Experience something familiar with new eyes. Look at it like you’re looking at it for the very first time. Experience the ocean or a hiking trail anew. Experience a coffee shop or deli anew. Experience the walk to your mailbox anew. It can be anything, big or small. All you need to do is adjust your perspective and bask in the experience.
- Write a thank-you note to someone you live with or someone who lives very far away. Write a thank-you note to your body, to a favorite personality trait, to a favorite something you’ve created.
- Start documenting what makes you happy. Then add one of these activities to your day—and schedule it this week, too.
- Explore these questions in your journal. You might start with these questions: What part of myself do I feel distant from? What three words describe how I feel about my week? What’s surprised me about this week? Why?
- Explore this big, powerful question in your journal, too: How do I want to live my life?
- Write a few words that you need to read. Kind words. Uplifting words. Empowering words. Write your words on a small piece of paper, and carry them with you this week. Carry them like you’d carry something special in your pocket. Remember words have power.
- Create one thing you really need. And create it for 100 days. Start today.
- Ride your bike. Doodle. Dance. Color. Create unique, silly creatures. Drink chocolate milk. Snack on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (with the crust cut off, of course). Do anything that connects you to your playful spirit.
- Create a pampering, calming, rejuvenating self-care ritual like this one.
- Try these visualizations (for appreciating your body).
- Organize a space in your home. And by organize, I don’t mean get out all kinds of plastic bins and boxes. Rather, organize it into something that inspires and uplifts you. Organize it into something that feels good to you.
- Buy a bouquet of your favorite flowers; a cup of gourmet coffee or tea or a soothing bowl of soup; and a great book. Spend an hour or more savoring your purchases.
- Take five deep delicious breaths.
- Get ready for bed an hour earlier. Light your yummiest smelling candle, and listen to a guided meditation. Or say a prayer. Listen to some beautiful music. Talk with your spouse or kids. Really talk. No devices. No TV. Just you and them.
What are your favorite ways to spend the day?