Body Beliefs That Boost Your Well-Being
But the nice thing about beliefs is that they’re not fixed. They’re not facts. They can be changed. And they can be questioned, and eventually relinquished and replaced.
We can adopt beliefs that actually help us lead healthier, more fulfilling lives.
So, today, I wanted to share these kinds of beliefs, the ones that actually do boost our well-being and improve our lives. Pick and choose the ones that ring true for you. Create a few of your own.
- I deserve to feel good about myself because I’m a good person.
- I deserve to be loved and appreciated at any size.
- I can participate in physical activities that I actually enjoy.
- I can wear what I want as long as I love it.
- Happiness isn’t thinness.
- Success isn’t thinness.
- I define what happiness and success look like for me.
- I can trust my body.
- I can create a life that I love right now, without waiting for my weight to change.
- I don’t need to know my weight.
- I don’t have to keep a scale at home.
- I can simply focus on the habits that feel great to me, without focusing on needless numbers.
- Whether someone likes my body doesn’t matter.
- I don’t need anyone’s approval to appreciate myself.
- I don’t need to please anyone with my appearance.
- I do have time to care for myself.
- Self-care isn’t selfish. It helps me be of service to others.
- This body is the only one I’ve got. Appreciating it and caring for it is worth my time.
- I don’t have to love my body right this second or next week or next month. But maybe I can start to do nicer things for myself.
- I can be kind to myself at any size. I don’t need to earn my own respect or love — or anyone else’s.
- Beauty, strength and health come in all shapes, sizes and weights.
- Sure, maybe I’ve never thought of myself as an athlete, but I can have fun and experiment with different activities to see what I like.
- Food, sex and body movement are about my own pleasure.
Which body beliefs resonate with you? What body beliefs can you adopt to help you lead a healthier, happier life?
Tartakovsky, M. (2013). Body Beliefs That Boost Your Well-Being. Psych Central. Retrieved on September 23, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2013/07/body-beliefs-that-boost-your-well-being/