Today in America it’s Thanksgiving! Here are a few ways you might enjoy the holiday. If you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you can use these tips for your other celebrations. Whatever you do today, I hope it’s wonderful!
- Before taking a bite of your favorite foods, marvel at your meal, like it’s the first time you’re actually having it. Take in its appearance and aroma, and truly taste it.
- Express your gratitude to your loved ones.
- If you have time, jot down what you’re thankful for in a note, and give it to your loved ones.
- Write down why you’re thankful for your body and yourself. (Just one thing will do!) And please read this piece from Anna on giving thanks, which is absolutely beautiful.
- Take a few minutes throughout the day to see how you’re feeling and what you might need. Then try your best to provide that.
- If you’re preparing anything, put on your favorite music, and rock out while you cook.
- Unplug for several hours, and really soak in your surroundings.
- Enjoy the outdoors — even if it’s for a few minutes.
- Stretch your body sometime during the day — even if it’s just stretching your neck from side to side.
- If guilt over eating certain foods surfaces, try this advice.
- If you have two minutes, remind yourself about the beauty of food.
- If you feel yourself getting stressed, take three deep breaths.
- Practice patience and kindness with yourself. If you find that you’re being self-critical, ask yourself, “How would I respond with kindness or patience to my best friend?”
You might like these related pieces:
What are your favorite ways to nourish yourself during the holidays?