Body Image Booster: Create A Sanctuary
Every Monday features a tip, activity, inspiring quote or some other tidbit that helps boost your body image, whether directly or indirectly — and hopefully kick-starts the week on a positive note!
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at mtartakovsky at gmail dot com, and I’ll be happy to feature it. I’d love to hear from you!
Our environment can affect our emotions, our energy levels, our thoughts and even our body image. For instance, having diet books and women’s magazines in our homes can sabotage a positive body image.
Our environment also plays a role in our self-care, which is key to a positive body image. That includes surrounding yourself with objects that nurture you in different ways; objects that meet your needs and put a smile on your face.
So, today, let’s talk about creating an environment that promotes a positive body image and becomes your self-care sanctuary.
Take some time to consider what a sanctuary means to you. What kinds of objects does it include? What kinds of objects doesn’t it include? What kinds of objects make it easier for you to practice self-care?
Here are a few additional ideas:
- Toss, donate or recycle anything that doesn’t uplift you or honor your body.
- Have photos of your loved ones, your support system.
- Buy candles with scents you love. (I actually love Glade candles, because they’re affordable, and they smell soo good!)
- Invest in nice, comfy sheets. (I get my cotton sheets on sale or from Tj Maxx or IKEA.)
- Create an inspiration corner. Maybe this is a corner in your bedroom or home office or even the kitchen that has inspiring words and images that boost your body image, that remind you of your values, that make you happy.
- Surround yourself with your favorite books. My home office is filled with books that put a smile on my face, whether they focus on body image or photography or art.
- Have flowers or plants in your home. Keep a pretty plant in your office, too.
- Add some art. I LOVE art. I have everything from a favorite fairytale print from a Russian museum (family trip in 2001) to photographs from Etsy to prints from NYC museums.
- Or create your own! In my office I keep three pictures I drew in elementary school. (They’re Picasso pieces, if you’re wondering. He’s always been a favorite. 🙂 )
- Stock your fridge with nourishing foods.
- Paint your space or a piece of furniture in your favorite color.
- Create a corner in your home for meditating, stretching, practicing yoga or any other activity you truly enjoy.
What does a body positive environment mean to you? What does it look like? What will you put in your home to nourish yourself?
Tartakovsky, M. (2014). Body Image Booster: Create A Sanctuary. Psych Central. Retrieved on October 23, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2012/08/body-image-booster-create-a-sanctuary/