Body Image Booster: Picking Positive Pursuits Over Body Bashing
Every Monday features a tip, activity, inspiring quote or some other tidbit that helps boost your body image, whether directly or indirectly — and hopefully kick-starts the week on a positive note!
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at mtartakovsky at gmail dot com, and I’ll be happy to feature it. I’d love to hear from you!
A while ago, I wrote this post about what to do instead of reading women’s magazines and worrying about your weight. Because, unfortunately, in our society, it’s all-too easy to focus on our bodies, what they could look like, what they should look like and what they don’t look like.
For many of us, bashing our bodies becomes a habit. One that’s hard to break. So even when we’re tired or bored, our default is to return to self-loathing and dreaming about how great our lives would be if we lost weight (or changed physically in other ways).
We also might buy magazines that make us feel like crap without even realizing it. We might watch TV shows or engage in conversations that do the same.
But here’s a fact: Instead of making ourselves miserable, we could be spending these precious minutes or even hours dreaming of and doing wonderful things. Things that actually matter. Things that actually make ourselves and others smile.
Recently, Gala Darling published a post about “100 Things To Do Instead of Procrastinating on the Internet.” It reminded me again of the many amazing things we could be doing instead of wasting time on the meaningless.
(I don’t think the Internet is meaningless, of course. But too much time on the computer isn’t healthy, especially if it’s browsing Facebook while comparing yourself.)
So many of these amazing things are right here, at our disposal. We can do these things instead of regularly focusing on the negative — even if, at first, the negative seems automatic to us.
Today, I wanted to share some of my favorite things from Darling’s list. So the next time you pick up a women’s magazine, lament your terrible-looking body or start swimming in self-loathing or self-doubt, do one of the things below that really resonates with you. And enjoy yourself.
2. Call your best friend. Yes, actually have a conversation on the telephone! (Terrifying, I know!) I’m sure your BFF will be thrilled & surprised to hear from you, & you’ll have a great chat. Isn’t it weird that when the phone rings these days, we assume it’s a call centre or that someone has butt-dialed us by mistake? Let’s work to remedy that!
3. Go to the library. If you don’t have a library card, this is the time to get one! There are few things more wonderful than spending an hour or two in the library, perusing the stacks & selecting a few tantalising tomes.
16. Start working your way through that abandoned bookshelf of yours! I know that you, like me, have succumbed to snapping up $1 secondhand copies of absolutely everything. It’s time to start reading ‘em!
18. Make your own body scrubs out of brown sugar, olive oil & any essential oils you like! You’ll probably never find a manufactured product that does the trick any better…
43. Fix something that’s broken! I have a pair of earrings that have been broken for at least two years. All I need to do is glue the stud back on… & yet, I haven’t. I know you have little projects just like this all around the house! Go do it! (& I’ll fix my earrings… Promise.)
48. Make a list of 10 places you want to visit in the next 5 years. Call it your WANDERLIST & add to it constantly! Illustrate it with drawings or clippings. Then send me a postcard when you actually get there!
64. Schedule breakfast dates. I love having breakfast with my friends: it starts the day off on a thoroughly positive note, makes you smile, & often gives you so much to think about all day!
74. Donate clothing or canned goods to a shelter. Just ‘cause it’s the right thing to do.
100. Do that thing. You know… That thing you’ve been meaning to do for ages. That thing you’ve been putting off for days, weeks, months. That thing that as soon as I say “that thing” you know exactly what I’m talking about. That thing. Yeah. Go do that.
Be sure to check out her post for the entire list.
What’s one thing you’ll do today instead of wasting time on body worries?
Tartakovsky, M. (2014). Body Image Booster: Picking Positive Pursuits Over Body Bashing. Psych Central. Retrieved on September 22, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2012/06/body-image-booster-picking-positive-pursuits-over-body-bashing/