Body Image Booster: Asking Yourself These Thought-Provoking Questions
Every Monday features a tip, exercise, inspiring quote or other tidbit to help boost your body image. For many of us, Mondays are tough. We may feel anxious and stressed out, anticipating an arduous week, especially if we didn’t get much rest and relaxation during the weekend.
These kinds of feelings don’t create the best environment for improving one’s body image. In fact, you might be harder on yourself and easily frustrated. You might even feel like you’re walking on egg shells – with yourself! With these posts, I hope you’ll have a healthier and happier body image day, that’ll last throughout the week.
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at [email protected], and I’ll be happy to feature it. It can be anything you do that’s healthy and helps boost your body image. I’d love to hear from you!
Building a more positive body image isn’t about having all the answers. But it does involve asking yourself some thought-provoking questions. I rounded up some fantastic posts from around the body image blogosphere for you today that do just that.
These posts pose important questions that help you think about your relationship with your body, among other things. Most of these posts also offer valuable advice. So be sure to check them out!
While you’re reading each question, take a few minutes to truly think about it. You can even journal about some of the questions if you like.
- Thank Your Body Today at Voice in Recovery. What does your body help you do?
- Loving Your Looks at Beautiful You. What two things do you love about your body?
- Living in the Positive Image Spotlight at Medicinal Marzipan. What have your moments of low self-esteem taught you?
- It’s OK, You can Relax at More to Love. When was the last time you stopped rushing around and genuinely relaxed?
- What Will Your Food Legacy Look Like? at You’d Be So Pretty If… Do your memories of loved ones involve specific foods? Have certain foods left a legacy?
- Talking to Family About Their Relationship to Food at HealthyGirl. Have you ever spoken to your parents or other family members about their relationships with food? To me, this question also brings up several other key questions: How do they view their bodies? How do they see themselves as a whole? What were the influences behind how they feel about their bodies? Have their views influenced your own?
- Is Elle Bad for Women? Elle Editor Says No at Glossed Over. How often do you think women’s magazines really speak to you?
- Refusing to Ruminate at Health for the Whole Self. Do you dwell on negative thoughts? Are you a big-time ruminator?
- The Fat Girl’s Guide to Being Irresistible – Even to Yourself at Fat Girl’s Guide to Living. When have you felt the most irresistible? How do you tap into your confidence?
- In a Perfect World, Your Imperfections Would Be Perfect at More of Me to Love. If you could wave a magic wand, how would you like your relationship with food and your body to be?
If you feel comfortable, share some of your responses below. Or what questions have you found helpful to ask yourself to start building a healthier and happier relationship with your body?
By the way, stay tuned tomorrow for my interview with Dara Chadwick, author of You’d Be So Pretty If…, about how moms can help their daughters build a healthy body image. I’m so excited to share her wise words with you!
Tartakovsky, M. (2014). Body Image Booster: Asking Yourself These Thought-Provoking Questions. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 24, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2010/07/body-image-boosters-asking-yourself-the-thought-provoking-questions/