20 Inspiring Ways to Boost Your Body Image
Every Monday features a tip, exercise, inspiring quote or other tidbit to help boost your body image. For many of us, Mondays are tough. We may feel anxious and stressed out, anticipating an arduous week, especially if we didn’t get much rest and relaxation during the weekend. These kinds of feelings don’t create the best environment for improving one’s body image. In fact, you might be harder on yourself and easily frustrated. You might even feel like you’re walking on egg shells – with yourself! With these posts, I hope you’ll have a healthier and happier body image day, that’ll last throughout the week.
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at [email protected], and I’ll be happy to feature it. It can be anything you do that’s healthy and helps boost your body image. I’d love to hear from you!
This weekend, I did some major spring cleaning. One of the things I did was to go through a heaping pile of magazines. Countless issues of The New Yorker and Psychology Today were sprawled out on the floor, many of which date back to 2006. (I know; I’m a pack-rat). Before recycling each issue, I browsed through it and tore out the most inspiring articles, poems, interviews – whatever. I saved anything that I thought was an example of great writing, anything that stirred me, anything with a great opening line and an important lesson, anything that was interesting and inspiring. To house it all, I designated two folders (one has a kitty on it, which kinda makes me happy).
This got me thinking of creating an inspiration folder for boosting one’s body image. It’s similar to creating an inspiration board that we talked about many weeks ago. But this file would include inspiring writings that remind you and motivate you to continue working on improving your body image and overall self-acceptance. You might print out the writings and put them into a special folder, bookmark them on your computer or create an online folder. Anytime you’re feeling bad about your body, feel the urge to revert to old unhealthy habits or think your positive self-image is crumbling, you can reach for a thoughtful article, blog post or poem in your file.
So, today, I want to share with you the links to posts that inspire me, help me feel better about myself and challenge me to put things into perspective. Here are twenty pieces of writing that may inspire you, too:
- “Phenomenal Woman” by Maya Angelou – wow, I get goose bumps every time I read this.
- “Bathing Suit Season” & “How to Survive the Holidays!” from Elizabeth Patch’s More to Love SketchBook
- “My Amazing Body” from Live Your Ideal Life
- “An Amazing Act of Courage” from ED Bites
- “Life in the Middle” & “Courage” from Fat Girl’s Guide to Living
- “Hating Yourself NEVER Works” from Body Love Wellness
- “Accepting Your Body Just the Way It Is” from Healthy Girl
- “Shoulds, Buts And the Need to Get It ‘Right‘” from Finding Melissa
- “5 Tips for Keeping Your Body Image Resolutions” from You’d Be So Pretty If
- “How to Say ‘I Love My Body’ & Mean It” from A Weight Lifted
- “Me, Myself and I” & “Saturday Sunshine…” from Beautiful You
- “The Real Deal with Fat Talk” from Healthy Tipping Point
- “Separating the Wheat from the Chaff: How to Lose Restrictive Diet Rules” from More of Me to Love
- “Letter to My Daughter: Mom Has an Eating Disorder” from We Are the Real Deal
- “New Beginnings: Inspirational Recovery Quotes” from Weighing the Facts
- “My Madly In Love With Me Manifesta” from Radical Hateloss
- “20 Ways to Love Your Body” from National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA; a pdf file)
What are some of your favorite posts and articles? Share the links below! I’d love for us to compile a great list of resources that can be featured in a future post.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Tartakovsky, M. (2010). 20 Inspiring Ways to Boost Your Body Image. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 28, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2010/03/20-inspiring-ways-to-boost-your-body-image/