16 thoughts on “This One Parenting Tip Creates The Most Change

• January 22, 2018 at 7:22 am

Thank you for this article. I struggle in this area SO much. I want to be a more calm patient mom, but then life happens and I struggle again. I will return to read this many times. Thank you!

• January 22, 2018 at 7:38 am

You are welcome! This is exactly why I write. All positive efforts count so avoid being too hard on yourself.

• January 22, 2018 at 8:17 am

This is a great tip!! I have done this before but sometimes I still find myself getting frustrated and overwhelmed. But I absolutely love the examples that you give to help us find those times to encourage and compliment them.

• January 22, 2018 at 10:45 am

This is SO true!! It works on adults as well… I work harder when I’ve received a compliment on my work! And it works at home with the kids! I wish it were more instinctual because I definitely see a change in their behavior if I simply notice and comment on the good things! Thanks for the reminder!

• January 22, 2018 at 10:48 am

This is great advice! It would probably apply to adults as well. Everyone likes to hear what they are doing well and then makes you want to continue to please when others express that. I definitely need to remind myself to do this with my daughter so I can continue to reinforce her good behavior.

• January 22, 2018 at 1:25 pm

This really is a great (and convicting) reminder. It is so much easier to call out the behavior you want to stop, and assume they just know they are doing okay otherwise, but I think about how much I love encouragement in areas of my life and I see areas I could definitely do better in giving it. This is especially true for my daughter, but even my spouse – letting him know how much I appreciate him and the things he does for us. Such a good reminder this afternoon; thank you!!

• January 22, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Great piece, Nadene. This advice is exactly what parents need. It’s not rocket science, yet incredibly effective! Thank you.

• January 22, 2018 at 2:27 pm

This is such an important tip. Thank you for the reminder and for the suggestions on how to word what to say!

• January 22, 2018 at 2:40 pm

This makes so much sense. I’m going to give this a try this week. I’m trying to get my youngest to tidy his room now and clean up after dinner – without me having to ask. We’ll see if this works for me!

• January 22, 2018 at 5:38 pm

I love this! Your suggestions are spot on. I never really looked at things from this perspective before. I will definitely practice this tip with my daughter. thanks for sharing!

• January 22, 2018 at 5:39 pm

This is a great read for any new moms/dads out there struggling with how to approach this topic. Positive reinforcement is always a good strategy!

• January 22, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Such a great article. Thank you so much for breaking it down and giving real life examples. I’ll be sharing this article with many, many folks 🙂

• January 22, 2018 at 10:05 pm

This is one of the first things they teach you when you become a teacher. Positive reinforcement goes a long way!

• January 23, 2018 at 2:55 pm

This is a great post!! Positive reinforcement is such a powerful tool for raising kiddos!! I’m a huge advocate for avoiding using the word “don’t” because your kid doesn’t learn what they actually should be doing in that circumstance!

• January 24, 2018 at 3:03 am

These are some wonderful tips. I would make sure that I incorporate them in the future. Thanks