22 thoughts on “How To Stop Yelling (And Other Knee-Jerk Reactions)

• November 23, 2017 at 10:54 am

Your so right about having to address the underlying issues. For me, it was because my stress levels were too high. Once I learned better stress management, I stopped raising my voice at my kids. And I became a better mom because of it!

• November 23, 2017 at 11:15 am

We all do it! I’m working on it as well…each day is a new day and I try to be better than the day before.

• November 23, 2017 at 11:37 am

The point about mindfulness is spot on. Being present really helps you to be aware of your emotions and stop things like lashing out in anger

• November 24, 2017 at 9:20 am

These are all very accurate points. I have been trying for years to get deep breathing through yoga, but never actually begin to do it. This article makes mindful about how much I have changed since my calm nature that I had till my adolescence.

• November 24, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I know a few people who could use this. Sometimes it’s hard not to react. I struggled with this a lot in my early twenties.

• November 24, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience. For many of us it’s just working on reducing how often you react

• November 25, 2017 at 9:18 am

I try not to tell. It is so important to communicate how you are feeling without yelling.

• December 15, 2017 at 7:48 am

Thank you for writing about this. I really need to take a deep breath, walk away, take 10 minutes before reacting. Really good tips to think about and practise.

• December 15, 2017 at 9:01 am

Great ideas! I find that the intentional breathing pattern really helps me to calm down and focus.

• December 15, 2017 at 10:35 am

Those knee jerk reactions are always not good. Learning how to not instantly respond is very important. Like your tips on getting a handle on reacting in the wrong way.

• December 15, 2017 at 1:49 pm

This is something I have been working on. One thing that has really been helping me is taking a breath and reminding myself I can respond in a calm manner to any situation.

• December 16, 2017 at 12:21 am

This was great, thanks for sharing! I find that practicing mindfulness helps me a lot when I get into tough situations like this. You have lots of other great tools here too for next time!

• December 16, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Oh these are great tips! I struggle sometimes, where I’m having a knee jerk reaction, fully aware of it, but someimes still unable to putt back. I like your tip for grounding, and think that will really help me out.

• December 17, 2017 at 9:05 pm

These are such great tips! Taking a minute to breathe and be mindful (by surrendering myself to the present moment) has really helped me kick the habit of yelling in my parenting. I’m still not perfect, of course, but I now an outburst from me is SUPER rare, and before it was, sadly, a daily occurrence.