12 thoughts on “Borderline Personality Disorder: Healing in Bali

• September 13, 2013 at 5:07 am

This is very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing this.

• February 2, 2019 at 11:13 pm

Hello I just have a question…were you ok travelling and did it effect you negitively, how old were you when you travelled to bali and were you on medication?

• September 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

So good to have you back! I’ve been checking your blog frequently and wondering if you are ever coming back. Looking forward to more insightful and thoughtful blog posts from you.

• September 14, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks so much. Hope is so hard to believe in. I

• September 14, 2013 at 11:50 am

I wish i could do this but the hope disappears as soon as I get out of bed. My husband asks me to leave every week but I still love him and have no skills. At 45 and kids still at home and don’t know what would be best for my family.

• September 18, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Well done to you, but you make it sound so easy. It must be great to even be able to go on a holiday for a start.I’m 45 and have had a lifetime of eating disorders and self-harm and self-destruction too. It doesn’t seem to change with fresh air and exercise.And to have friends? Actual relationships? And you even get the chance to have therapy?!You’re very lucky.

• September 19, 2013 at 3:56 am

Hi Julie, Nice to be back, after a year I have learned a lot and now working with BPD clients as a peer worker and loving it.
    Russhell, I wish you the best, it is not easy. I started up the support group because there was not one around to join.
    TT, This is a consolidation of everything I have learned to do over the past 51 years. I work hard at it all the time, it was and still is not easy, it gets easier the more I do it. I wish you the best as well. If you want to make change in your life you have to do something different.

• November 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm

HI Sonia,
    superb. as an analyst and BPD sufferer this is so timely. I have an exceptional analyst I think. Am really scared as I am apparsntly paranoid hewants rid of me. He’s tough but also kind. But right now he terrifies me – eat or be eaten. This week most scared I have felt and no reason in reality he says. Anyway just to say thank you. Amazingly eloquent description of our difficulties and I agree the only way through is to keep working on it. I too give my therapy everything I have got- its my only hope. I too have begun organic juicing, walking, stopped smoking, ditched junk food and sugars, getting sleep, doing yoga, tidying my cluttered house bit by bit. It’s not easy – this week I relapsed from good regime- and it shows. But I still didnt fully give up – plugged away at yoga and house clearing. Some days even when doing the good stuff – I just break down and cry especially after rage attacks. My analyst on receiving end but I was just speaking today of similar things you wrote here! I keep going – life becoming more appealing than death coz I have worked SO HARD to get to this point of just being able to see I need to deal with whatever abyss in my life led to my BPD way of ‘coping’.

• April 6, 2017 at 12:44 am

Hi there, stumbled upon your post. I’m headed to Bali to heal next week for a month, struggling with BPD also, but wanted to check in if there were meditation coaches, therapists, or any other place you went to that helped with your peace?

• April 6, 2017 at 9:43 am

Hi J,
      When I was in Bali, I stayed at Ubud. I ate at organic restaurants, went to the Yoga Barn, went on bird walks, hikes, etc. I did see a psychology clinic right outside the place we were staying. You need to google this as I did not go there for that purpose, just for rest, relaxation and meditation. Enjoy your stay there though. Lucky you. A month in Bali would be great.

• June 10, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Hi J
      How are you, how did you get on? I’m really interested to find out how your month went as struggling with possible BPD I’d love to find something that works.
      If you’d post your experience that would be amazing.
      Many thanks
      Kate

• June 10, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Hi Sonia
    I loved reading your Bali experience and how you described your personality disorder. Many traits that you describe I have and I’m wanting desperately to ‘sort myself out’. I’m in the UK and am wondering if a residential trip is a good idea. I was thinking about intensive phychotherapy of a clinical type as I think wellness centres et al are a bit wishy washy… your experience was obviously an amazing one.
    How long did you stay in Bali and at what ‘type’ of place did you go to? If I thought that Buddhism was the answer then consider me on my way there…
    Your ideas would be greatly received and advice greatly appreciated.
    Warmest wishes, Kate