31 thoughts on “Support Groups for People Diagnosed with BPD

• September 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

How can I get this in rural Utah?

• September 10, 2014 at 1:36 am

Hi Sonia,

I hope you are having a wonderful time away…

I was scrolling the internet for peer support groups for a client with BPD and stumbled across this…

I would love more info… ๐Ÿ™‚

• September 25, 2014 at 8:55 am

I’ve been looking for a psychologist for over a year now that can help me. I’m only 15, therefore I was not able to get the official diagnosis of borderline personality disorder, however I was told that, yes, I did have this disorder but I would have to wait until I was 18 to be officially diagnosed. So I am BPD, just not old enough to recieve the official diagnosis. My age does not change the symptoms or the struggle and pain I’m going through so I would really love to see a group that didn’t have an age limit on it. Every other place I have found is only for 18+ because it’s a personality disorder. This means I can’t recieve help from the people who specialise in BPD just because I’m not old enough. I still have the disorder I’m just not old enough and it’s really really annoying. Trying to find a regular psychologist that can treat BPD is impossible.

• September 26, 2014 at 4:07 am

Hi Sonia,
    Totally agree with your statements! I am a mum of a teenager diagnosed with BPD and there are little to no services! She is on the cusp of her 18th birthday and we are finding neither adolescent or adult services want to take control. I would be interested if you know of any retreats or camps that are available for BPD and yes where are the DBT programs. We need help xx

• November 26, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hi Sonia,
    I have a inflexible , resistant 17 yr old son, initially dx with separation anxiety at 6yrs then as Oppositional at 8 when he was 9 we found he was highly anxious and extremely intelligent and when the teens hit my GP thought he was psychopathic . I have only recently come across BPD and think it may be the best fit for him. As much as we love our son, he was removed with a VRO at 15 because we were at our wits end and saw no other option to ensure the physical safety and sanity of the other 3 family members, he couch surfed and live on the streets for 3 months (we were still in contact and supportive but he was not allowed in the home) before we realised that this was not what we wanted and was not having the desired affect. We live in Perth and am in desperate need of some sort of support group FOR ME. Any practical advice on living with a family member with bpd would be greatly appreciated.

• January 7, 2015 at 3:32 am

Hi Sonia,

I am the mother of an 18 daughter just diagnosed with BPD. She has been told that she has been discharged from services as she is not severe enough! She has been through 7 psychs over 5 years. After the first suicide attempt she was a client of CAMHS for 2 years (told she had depression and anxiety), but services ended when she turned 18 (we were originally told they would take her until 25 if necessary). She was not passed on to an adult service and struggled through on her own for about 7 months and then turned to Headspace when things got too bad. The councillor there realized she needed more than they had to offer and referred her on. She is now back with Headspace.
    We need honest evaluations, and mental health staff trained to work specifically with this disorder. We need services that are in it for the long haul, instead of being pushed from pillar to post with 10 pathetic sessions a year with little, or no benefit from general therapy. Peer support groups are absolutely necessary, and other group therapies such as art, especially for those like my daughter who have no friend supports.
    It would also be helpful if the services could be reasonably local.
    Thank you, we appreciate and acknowledge your efforts to improve services for people with BPD.

• April 25, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Can anyone tell me please if there’s a support group in Perth for young men? My son has been diagnosed with this and needs support…any resources you know of. He’s 34 years old.

Thanks so much

• April 25, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Hi Mum in Como, I run a BPD consumer support group in Perth, WA for both males and females, I’ve sent you details via your email. Regards Sonia

• November 20, 2016 at 12:05 am

Hi Sonia I am desperate for my 27 year old son we live in perth Southern suburbs…He has had a traumatic life from the age of nine our family has broken up because of the huge stress and know one can cope with the pressure..And so this child has been like a hot potato from one side of his family to another…The estranged family members are all full of blame towards each other because we are all burnet out totally… Things have escalated to many suicide attempts drug addiction self harm…And now locked up at Sir Charles Gardener mental health unit at present under State law…I hope some sort of plan can be put in place and every one can learn and understand this devastating affliction, panic can subside and we can start to build a plan to all help him..
        PLEASE IF THERE IS ANY GROUPS I CAN GO TO IN PERTH W.A LEARN COPING AND SUPPORT SKILLS TO HELP HIM!!!! please email me …. [email protected]

• June 1, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Hi there, could you please send me details too regarding the support group as I too live in Perth. Many thanks.

• June 2, 2015 at 9:20 am

Hi BPD Newbie,
      There is a support group I run through my workplace. I will privately email you with the flyer.
      Regards Sonia

• February 6, 2017 at 1:02 am

Hi Sonia, i recently got told by a counsellor that I may have BPD, after researching it I’m 100% sure this is what I have. Obviously I am keen to start getting treatment, can you please e-mail me what u suggest are the best options in the Perth area. I’m desperate for help. Thanks.

• August 14, 2015 at 5:19 am

Hi Sonia, I am an academic, also with BPD, who has big plans and ideas for the treatment and services available in Australia. I would love to email you and have a chat about your ideas and experiences, do you have an email that you could provide? L-

• October 7, 2015 at 4:51 am

Hi Sonia, we have already emailed but the flyer information was never attached and you haven’t responded with a successive email, with attachment could you please resend flyer, thank you.

• October 25, 2015 at 10:52 am

I am interested in attending the support group in Perth
    Cheers

• October 25, 2015 at 10:54 am

I am interested in attending the Perth support group
    Cheers

• December 28, 2015 at 12:57 am

Living in Perth, dghtr 20yrs needing help with BPD. Please send me info on support groups been to counsellors, hospital and Head space with no improvement.Unable to join certain group in Perth due to not having private health cover.

• January 9, 2016 at 9:57 am

Hi is there a Perth support group for the partners of those with BPD.

• January 11, 2016 at 7:02 am

Hi Brett,
    If you are in Perth give ARAFMI, now known as Helping Minds a call.
    Perth Helping Minds has a Family Connections group run by Catherine Holland and Jennie Fitzgerald.

Perth
    The Carer Centre
    182 Lord Street,
    Perth WA 6000
    P: +61 (8) 9427 7100
    F: + 61 (8) 9427 7119
    Regards Sonia

• February 1, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Ho Somka
    Please email me details for support group as well, I am a 28 year old woman with BPD and feel desperately alone and hopeless.I am based in Perth too. Thanks!

• February 1, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Hi Sonia
    Apologies for the spelling error in my previous message predictive text!

• February 2, 2016 at 8:12 am

Hi Sonia

I was wondering if i could grab the details of your support group or anyone that could help my girlfriend. She has been diagnosed with BPD and has seen numerous doctors and psychologists with no advancement in getting somewhat better. Being someone that has gone through what she is currently going through im hoping you’d be able to help.

Kind Regards, Chris

• February 29, 2016 at 10:14 am

Hi Sonia.

Interested in more info for my clients through my work as I have a few induviduals who we work with who’d benefit tremendously from this.

Many thanks.

• May 16, 2016 at 8:23 am

Hi Sonia,

My “caree” / ?partner (46yo – or 4 going on 6yo ๐Ÿ™‚ ie BPD) needs DBT NOW. He’s done so many hard yards to get ready for it, & is expecting to be looked after therapy-wise ‘now’. I’m told “the system” means a year’s wait. ???!!!***. He can’t wait; he has no patience to jump through the hoops (meaningless & pointless to him). What can I / we do? He is on CentreLink … but his mental health is $$worth it. How do we find someone to help him now?? Google isn’t much help … Thanks so much Sonia – in anticipation – desperate after so much hard work …

PS read all previous; for Brett – Helping Minds (ARAFMI) is just great; a lovely lady VH soothed my mind – & by email alone (ie cared enough to respond that way) – during a baaad patch ~Dec 2015.

Cheers to you all as well

Julia

• May 16, 2016 at 8:27 am

PS – I’m in Perth – forgot to mention the obvious d’Oh

• May 24, 2016 at 9:27 am

OK Sonia, re-read your main blog page; is there any way I can help?

• October 10, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Hi Sonia,
    Are you able to send details of your support group to me. We have a beautiful 20 yr old daughter that has BPD. She has been going to headspace for two years but does not seem to have improved at all. We are so desperate to help her and meet like minded people.

• March 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Hi Sonia, does this group still operate in Perth? I have a 30 yo daughter with two kids. She battles with BPD every day and all the associated things that go along with BPD. Could you please send details of the Group. Thanks, Paul

• September 21, 2017 at 12:34 am

Hello Sonia,

I’m a support worker trying to access support for a client with BPD in Perth.She really needs the support group you talk about in your blog.Can you please send details of the group or how to become eligible to attend?

• February 3, 2018 at 1:22 am

Hi Sonia,
    I am an adult child abuse survivor with BPD. I am on the Disability Pension and Unable To Find Any BPD Support Groups in Perth.

Can you please advise me of the group you run. I’m in desperate need of assistance.

• October 12, 2018 at 5:02 am

I would like more info on the perth group please, I suffer from BPD