Comments on
The fear of losing your darkness

There is something mysterious and attractive about darkness; we are drawn by the darkness in ourselves and others. In the context of this article, I use “darkness” to describe depression and emotional issues rather than various personality types such as narcissism or sociopathic tendencies.

6 thoughts on “The fear of losing your darkness

• December 3, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Welcome Diane. I struggle with getting stuck when I’m writing a song or teaching myself to play the electric keyboard , piano guitar. Poems. I seem to move to fast for me to catch up.. If u know what I mean n yes darkness ables me to write my bestes poems. I’m glad u joined I’ve never personally have heard anyone I’ve been seeing perfessionaly talk about this topic.

• December 4, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hi Sammerae,

I am glad to see that you are able to relate with the feelings I write about. Hopefully, in posts to come, you will be able to find some answers that reflect your experience. Also, if you have questions or curiosities, please ask!

Diana

• December 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

The title of this caught my eye! Very interesting. I’ve been there, and as creative as “Depression” can be, I think it causes distorted thinking. So, you’re work appears to be very creative (or distorted, different) because your mind is. Creativity does flow as depression lifts and clarity of mind is restored, in fact, it can be a very creative process coming out of your depression and finding the reasons why you were depressed to begin with – healing. I was not “afraid” of losing my darkness, I could no longer live that way anymore. If you haven’t reached that point where you can no longer live that way anymore, you may be using your emotions and thought patterns as a familiar crutch because it is all you know (but you don’t see it, because you aren’t thinking clearly). All this comes from the heart and I would’ve thought it was harsh in the past, but it’s the truth. I’ve been there.

• December 4, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Amber,

You have touched on a very important point in your comment. The place one finds herself in makes all the difference. You said “I was not “afraid” of losing my darkness, I could no longer live that way anymore.” It’s a process and some people find themselves at the point you describe, while others are not yet ready to give up on their “darkness”.

Thank you for sharing your experience and chiming in!

Diana

• December 4, 2014 at 10:32 am

I embrace my darkness w/ or w/o my depression. The darkness is another side of me, but how I wield that sword, on my shoulders that burden shall lie, must be carefully measured and directed in nonharmful, yet beautiful, constructive ways. Depression is a by-product of all my negativity built up over the yrs and burdens I feel responsible for and of those in my environment as a child and teen who were even more negative.

I have in recent yrs , I have actually come to find very recently, become a much more positive person, especially during adversity and stress ( my bad habit enemies)

I say to any and everyone, love, appreciate, even nurture, all of your good, bad, ugly, weird, quirky, freakishness feelings and be your unique true self.
    Find a creative way of bringing that which you are in the world to others and ensire them to be different to not be forced to conform into “society’s” little bitty box. No two ppl are or should be exactly the same (even twins) and such.

Wendi a
    Everyone is blessed with beauty!

• December 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm

You are so right, Wendy! Boxes limit our perspectives and serve no purpose other than giving the illusion of the issue being more manageable. I also think that depression is a very large umbrella that encompasses us and all aspects of our experience, thoughts, feelings, and more.

Thank you for taking the time to read the article and share your thoughts and experiences.

Diana