9 thoughts on “Keys to Creativity: Using anxiety to create.

• January 28, 2015 at 7:53 pm

A very interesting article. I would love to make my anxiety work for me instead of against me… This could be an interesting experiment. Thank you!

• January 29, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Anxiety, stress, tension. Put the word “creativity” in front of each, and perspective can shift. My story about each is that I can titrate for highest productivity by managing these useful emotions. My incubatory preference (my wife calls it procrastination) often energizes a “just right” level of anxiety. “Just in time” creative delivery. It’s worked well for me. I used to see myself as a procrastinator. Now, an Incubator. And I’m creatively prolific because I care about making a difference and am engaged with the world around me. I think this pattern is generalizable.

The taproot of anxiety is fear. If I want to manage anxiety to foster greater creativity, it will serve me to explore fear. More on that here: http://bit.ly/1HlXe07

• January 30, 2015 at 8:30 am

I enjoy painting as a way out of my anxieties and yes, fears too. I find that utilising my anger and fear and forcing these strong emotions into something productive (usually poetry with anger, usually paintings with sadness) channel the energy into something beautiful, and create not only an outlet for me, but make ‘me’ a safe place to be around for the people I love and care about.
    When I don’t, people tell me I am, not myself.

• January 30, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Great. Very easy to undestant. Thanks.

• January 30, 2015 at 7:10 pm

I feel anxiety when I do not have time to paint. My full time job drains me.
    Hopefully soon I will be able to paint….

• February 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Indeed i feel the same way. I have much trouble with anxiety and mainly times at work or social events where it’d be much frowned upon to work on something to express my creativity.

• January 31, 2015 at 6:42 am

As an anxious artist, I find neuroticism is a very common, if not ubiquitous, trait around the surrealists I’ve met!

• February 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Wow yea Ive heard many times through out my life that anxiety and or frustration play hand in hand with creativity. And I must say it totally makes sense. I way to use all energies properly. Though I suppose theres not way to channel this idea at work for example and in times of great anxiety when i can not just sit down and be creative. So I am asking, any tips on dealing with great anxiety when expected to perform and function like a “normal” person.>?

• February 10, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Hi,
      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. One of my colleagues here at PsychCentral.com wrote an interesting article on the causes of social anxiety and some things you can do about it (from what you mentioned it sounds like you need some tips in this area). You can find her article here
      Take a look and see if that helps. If that is not what you are looking for let me know and we’ll go from there. Diana Pitaru