Comments on
It’s Ok to Feel Like an Alien

little-alien-1440223A lot of the time I feel like I’m different from the rest of the world. It’s as if my upbringing, my attitudes, my preferences and my opinions make me a singular being out of the billions of other people on earth.

9 thoughts on “It’s Ok to Feel Like an Alien

• December 27, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Your post resonated very well with me, ive been thinking like this for a while now. Its very upsetting feeling so different and alone. Thanks for letting me know im not.

• June 21, 2016 at 7:03 am

I don’t feel there are words to describe the type of person I am. Which I know, may sound somewhat narcissistic. However I don’t mean to come across as feeling superior,although that is something I’ve had to deal with as well. I don’t like feeling like I’m looking down on the world. But I’ve even experienced a point durin my childhood where I’ve had a voice of some sort in my head,or whatever, objectively surmising my experience. Even though I cannot seem to put words to my personality, others often seem too. Some think I’m crazy, some think I’m wise beyond my years… it’s all very confusing. In a way, I’m incredibly sure of myself and self aware, but in the same token, I struggled with basic human behaviors. Personally. I have always been good at summing up my environment, and people notice. The head manager at my job has noted my ability to “think like a manager”, yet there are blocks I experience during random interactions with others. I’ve never felt connected or empathetic. At the same time, I feel overly intuitive and sensitive. I just don’t know.

• August 3, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Feeling alien .. these are the words I typed in my search engine witch brought me to this blog . I’m from egypt and I’m atheist . What u described is exactly how I feel so ur not alone . I see people always fit in groups witch I can’t fit in . And I ask myself why do they have a favorite team . Why they are patriotic . Why they find music as art .. I couldn’t find answers and I thought both me and other people are weird . And I came to realise this . Not all homosapiens are humans .. and I don’t see myself as human being .. im homosapien and im self aware .. but how can I tell if im self aware or even intelligent being.. well humans are homosapiens who have many cultures and social rules and structures depending on where they are located and categorised.. so right now I know im anti human but I have a conflict in my mind I will talk about now .. I know im intelligent in my prospective but this intelligence is instinctual because I want sex and food . Not just that but it affects reasoning and other mental phenomenon like cognitive pain .. yes pain is cognitive than physical because u can feel pain in ur dreams . and this is encrypted in our dna . So I come to question my intelligence . So intelligence is a loaded word and I can’t measure my self awareness .. I hate this instincts inside me

• May 24, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I’m only 15 and I feel like this. I am a very anti-social person. The only people I can relate to is you and Sherlock Holmes off of the tv show Sherlock. (I know it’s fake, but his thinking process is the closest i’ve seen to mine) I distract myself with learning odd things, like the Greek Alphabet, or Binary Code, or even Hexadecimal for that matter. I also read books alot. However, those are all distractions. I know that sooner or later, i’m going to have to do something useful with the world, for it is clearly falling apart. I think i’m going to give up on it, break a chunk of the Earth and send it into space to orbit around the sun at its own rotation. However that will require an artificial atmosphere, but i’ll dwell on that later. First I have to convince the “Government” to let me borrow Greenland and a few thousand people to start my own colony. Stupid humans, it probably wont take much to convince them, they’ll most likely believe me.

PS: If someone takes this idea, and makes it work, I call dibs on being one of the twelve Guide’s. If someone emails me, I have a couple pages on the government and its purpose and all that mumbo jumbo.

• November 15, 2018 at 12:44 am

On a scale of 1 to 10, how serious are you

• August 20, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Thank you! I’ve felt this way for as long as I could remember, I just never knew how to put it into words. Through out my adolescents I never really had any friends. Now that I’m married with two kids I have absolutely no friends and a part of me doesn’t want to change that. Like I love feeling different and lonley.I feel like I’m on a different plain than everyone, sometimes including my husband who I can’t seem to understand how he can connect with people so easy. How he can just talk and talk about nothing really and find stimulation from it. It’s like I’m a Voyager- passenger I guess just simply observing this species I just can’t seem to connect with emotionally. I feel like everything I exert is fabricated and that kinda scares me, because I don’t want my children to feel me not being genuine with them. I don’t know if what I feel is what I actually feel or just what I or someone/ something is making me feel cause it’s what you’re supposed to feel in these moments and if not they’ll see you’re not one of them.

• January 26, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Also here because googled “feel like an alien.” It’s nice to know I’m not the only one. Many of your comments mirror a lot of what I experience. I look around at people, into their football, and their fashion, and their religion, and their feminism, and their basic bullshit and I just don’t know how to work with that. At one point I thought I was anti-social or awkward too, but it turns out not to be the case. There is hope. I’ve been lucky enough to find a few other aliens out there to commiserate with. I really do like people and am comfortable around them, as long as they hold similar values to me – principles, ethics, logic, etc. Sometimes it’s frustrating realizing they don’t line up with mine 100% (but why would they) – hence why I am here. It’s easy to get lulled into a sense of belonging, when you’re agreeing with said people. Then you inevitable come to a point of contention, and I’m like “how in the world can this person believe/value this thing?” Oh well. I should be grateful. But again feel thrust out into alienism and feel like I’m never going to meet anyone who I fully relate to.

• April 17, 2019 at 2:14 am

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I read it and I just felt so similar. It’s a really hard place to be. It helped me reading this to feel slightly less alone. Thank you.

• May 3, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Hey there vibin with you. For all the other people reading this I hope you know that we are all human even though there is such a thing as unlocking various parts of your dna. I have researched and done ayahuasca in the jungle and feel very alien sometimes to the world around me and notice other people cant vibe with me very well hence I have been kicked out of many coffee shops where I like to write but i’m hoping now to fit in better cause I feel more sane. other people should aspire to be like us. Not the other way around though it can be difficult. Your not alone. I am also schizophrenic, and feel overly tuned in sometimes if that makes sense. an intuit etc. thanks for your blog it helped me to not feel so alone