10 thoughts on “Diet And Schizophrenia: The Link Is More Important Than You Think

• May 14, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I fail to see any recent evidence published in respected medical journals to back your claims. (Research studies from 1988 are more than a bit dates and Pyschology Today is not a medical journal.) Oh, and the APA format citation at the bottom is incorrect. I’ve never seen an APA citation start with “&” (it appears that the first author is missing) and you would do well to observe the capitalization rule for titles of articles. A good reason for people not to take too seriously what they read on the internet.

• May 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

After 22 years of every imaginable psych med and a litany of shrinks I found an Endocrinologist who turned me on to a grain-free sugar-free diet.

Completely Psych med and shrink free today! For me it was “all about” the diet.

• May 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm

It would be helpful if the researchers would look at A1 vs A2 milk to see if the A2 beta-casein is better or even does not lead to the mental illness problems. Research done in New Zealand suggests such a connection. Check http://www.A2milk.com

Also, is there a difference between refined cane or beet sugar and high fructose corn syrup? Recent work suggests that high fructose corn syrup negatively impacts memory functions. What about natural sugars in fruits or vegetables?

It sounds like unhomogenized A2 milk may be more acceptable to the body.

• May 16, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I am surprised that KPU (kryptopyroluria), otherwise referred to simply as “pyroluria” was not mentioned here. I am not a dr or an expert, “just” a patient, but I know there is a very strong link between this disorder and schizophrenia. Indeed, Dr. Hoffer (I think I have that name right)way back in the 50’s “discovered” KPU through his research with schizophrenia.

The effects of KPU are that you urinate out macro amounts of key nutrients, including biotin, zinc, B-6, maganese, and more. Huge amounts, not small amounts.

I urge everyone to google KPU/pyroluria … there are some good articles out there. This is not a disputed disease… it exists. It is now linked to depression, alcoholism, and much much more. ALL psychiatric patients should be screened for this — a simple urine test does it. Of course, this means that medical folks will need to be trained in this. They are totally ignorant. It shocks me.

I have KPU and take a supplement called CORE that replaces the nutrients lost. Dr. Klinghardt is another name to google in regards to this issue. I hope some smart people here follow up with this and do some research. Another good website is, I think, http://www.betterhealthguy.com

• May 17, 2012 at 11:10 am

There have been numerous “statistical correlations” with mental illness and food, tobacco use, and other causation.

Did you know there are no cases of someone who is completely blind having schizophrenia? That’s not a correlation statistic.

There are cases of schizophrenics who then become blind but again, no cases of a ‘blind from birth’ subject becoming schizophrenic.

It is also true the the blind do not have panic attacks.

Why? The most likely reason is that schizophrenia is an outcome of a little known problem of human physiology discovered when it caused believed harmless psychotic-like episodes of confusion for office workers in 1964. The cubicle was designed to stop it by 1968. There has been no investigation of Subliminal Distraction since.

When it happened to my wife she heard voices and had depressive crying episodes about impossible situations she hallucinated.

One of the doctors wanted to diagnose schizophrenia. But all that had happened was she had an extended Subliminal Distraction episode.

When I found an engineer to explain the problem her doctors refused to call him. Connie had severe reactions to psychotropic drugs, began to decline, and died in January 2010.

Subliminal Distraction episodes are unknown in mental health services. No one is screening for it before beginning treatment. When exposure stops the episode spontaneously remits and doctors claim a success for drugs or talk therapy.

• September 18, 2014 at 7:52 pm

This article caught my eye and was very informative to me. I never thought of schizophrenia with a correlation with diet. I think that it makes sense though. As the article said gluten affects people who may have and autistic condition, this I have heard of, which both effect the brain. I like how the author kept referring to it as brain-gut affect. I find it very interesting, and wonder if there has been more research since this article was published, that there were lower incidence of schizophrenia when consumption of gluten and dairy was low. I can see the correlation that our guts inability to digest food properly would mess with out brain.

• February 24, 2018 at 9:48 pm

It’s strange to me that we aren’t advocating the importance in diet in the majority of mental illnesses. Diet is what fuels the body, and I can imagine the high sugar diet does not contribute to the well being of anyone, and it’s neat to see the link in those with mental disorders like Schizophrenia. The brain-gut link is on the uprise I believe, as I hear more professionals, not just doctors recommending change in diet instead of medication first. This not the only platform that I’ve heard discussing consuming less diary and grains is beneficial to mental health.

• March 19, 2018 at 12:01 pm

I agree with Kylie, the most recent comment. Diet and mental illness? They’d think we’re all crazy! There is more and more brain-gut link information coming out, but it’s up to the common person to keep bringing the subject to light. With more studies and more people changing their “food life-style,” they can prove that the gut/brain link is real. The hard part is cutting out carbs and sugars –a difficult commitment even for those without mental illness. : (

• July 1, 2018 at 7:14 pm

12YRS MENTAL ILLNESS CURED WITH HERBS: I am so happy sharing my eldest son’s story of Schizophrenia that almost ruins the family of its happiness. It is known now that there is permanent cure to schizophrenia, to those still in doubt of this, my son is a living witness. For 12yrs, my son suffered from schizophrenia, many investigations have since taken place to achieve a diagnosis, it came from nowhere. He can never sleep because of the voices and nightmares. He gets very lazy, stays in his room a lot, maybe it’s because has no friends. Suddenly, He became very paranoid, scared and thought there was someone out to kill us all. He would say so many unreal things like he can communicate with Albert Einstein. Yet, the worst of it all is that he would tell me that there is nothing wrong with him and that he doesn’t need any help or medication. My son was mentally gone for more than 12yrs. Hospital became my second home. I cry every day. I search and search for help everywhere possible but none was forth coming. Anyone who is not in my position would not understand what I went through, the heart break, the pain and how frustrated I was for 12 odd years. Countless number of times, he was arrested. There was a day he got arrested because he was trying to climb up to the neighbor’s house and spy on them. Believe me, it was hell. To cut the long story short, VEEMEON brought us breakthrough. To know more about this product, visit: cureforschizophrenia.blogspot.com. I am glad he is living a happy life.

• April 4, 2019 at 9:48 pm

The blog is no longer there. Can you please direct me to how I can help my son who is having similar result with the hospital. They say there is nothing wrong with my son other the ODD. They are wrong he stays in his room, started smoking and lost all his friends. Please help me.