20 thoughts on “How to Get Out of a Bad Mood: 12 Tips

• September 27, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I find that “Look for the lesson” works the best for me, especially looking for the “hidden” lesson. A lot of time we’re in a bad mood not necessarily because of what happened just now, but because what happened just now triggered a bad memory in the past, usually unconsciously. If I can find that hidden reason, I usually feel much better.

• September 30, 2014 at 6:50 am

I love the concept of being compassionate toward ones self.I have no difficulty showing others compassion however when it comes to me I engage in rumination, self judgment and unforgoverness toward my own past.I would both love and benefit from self compassion and self forgiveness.

• October 12, 2014 at 11:42 am

I love this comment. Self-compassion has been an enormous aspect of my own personal work. I’ve had to really work hard at turning down the volume of my inner critic and to learn how to cut myself some slack. How would we be different and the world be different if we were more kind and compassionate to ourselves? I am writing a book proposal for a publisher on this topic. Thanks for reminding me of its importance. Best wishes to you on your journey.

• October 1, 2014 at 11:03 am

Good article. Geoddon, a mood stablizer took care of my anger issues but now I’m just flat out depressed. Negative thoughts and the “What if’s” consumes me. Desiree Cart Dugas

• October 12, 2014 at 11:44 am

Thanks for the positive feedback about the article! Yes, sometimes medication is necessary and very helpful. Cognitive behavioral therapy can be extremely useful with the negative thinking. Best wishes to you on your journey of healing and self-discovery!

• October 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Wow, did I need to read this! A family situation has had me blaming myself for months because I cannot get over a painful situation. I continue to feel guilty because I still hurt. I never considered I may have a right to feel anger and disappointment. Thank you.

• October 12, 2014 at 11:45 am

So glad you found the article validating and normalizing! Your comment means much to me, thank you for sharing! Best wishes to you.

• October 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm

My personal favorites were #2, #6, #9, and #12. Especially #6 (“bring your attention to the present”). When we get caught up in a bad mood, we sometimes forget that we can step outside of that space, and bringing our focus back to the present is one way we can move towards transitioning to a better place. Well-written, and especially appreciate the comparison to a fiery dragon. The next time I find myself immersed in a bad mood, I’m hoping I might remember to give the dragon recognition, and then move towards putting out the fire by utilizing some of the steps you’ve shared here today.

• October 12, 2014 at 11:47 am

Thank you so much, Nancy! Your comment was really meaningful to me. I agree that staying in the present is the magic key. It means much that you enjoyed the dragon metaphor–that was personal for me and fun to share, especially when readers like you connect to it in a meaningful way. Thank you!

• October 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Anger is no doubt a dragon that fights against us to destroy the good part of us. We are born with it and it could live with most of us all through life. My contribution will be from the spiritual angle and I’m a living witness to this submission. Apostle Paul in his epistle to the Galatians (Gal. 5: 19-21), classified anger among others as the works of the flesh. My anger really mastered me for years until I raised a standard by means of prayer against it. Rage or anger have destroyed many destinies and the only escape route is to turn to the Lord for help. It may not be a once for all thing but a fierce battle until you are let go of its grip. The underlie danger is that anger or the dragon within can send us to hell. Or don’t you believe in hell?

• October 5, 2014 at 5:02 pm

My favorite is not to fight the bad mood. Just being able to allow it helps it lift!! Great posting

• October 12, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thank you, Renee! Took me a long time to realize that. So glad you found it helpful!! That makes me very happy. Best wishes!

• October 9, 2014 at 10:17 am

I like the imagery. Wondering what ways to share this with young school age children?

• October 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

Oooh! What a great idea! Wouldn’t it be cool to have one of those Chinese dragon puppets for play therapy and have them use it to give voice to and explore their anger? Thank you for the wonderful idea. I really appreciate it! Best wishes!

• October 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm

a fiery dragon puppet sounds like a terrific way to explore a new way to let kids express their anger

• March 30, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind
    of info on yiur site. Im really impressed by your blog.

Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend
    to my friends. I’m sur they will be benefited from this
    website.

• August 2, 2016 at 8:47 pm

• August 2, 2016 at 11:26 pm

What a powerful, insightful article. Very user-friendly, you explain the techniques to use in a way that everyone can understand. As a counsellor myself, I am not into psycho jargon, or blinding people with science.
    I will certainly be recommending your article to my clients to read.

• November 23, 2018 at 12:42 am

Know why it is important to see about your mental health issue. We provide the highest level of psychological services and to be recognised as the best practice of its kind in Sydney. We Psychologist at Kellyville Ridge Creating Change we all share a passion for helping individuals and families to build healthy and meaningful futures.