10 thoughts on “What is the Opposite of Anxiety?

• July 19, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Your dad sounds awesome.

• July 20, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Thank you so much! As I help my 6 year old through debilitating anxiety, your posts are comforting and a reminder that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• July 20, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I think about this all the time, too. I think about how bravery is depicted as the opposite of being scared, when bravery is actually being thoroughly scared but doing it anyway. I’ve had a lifetime of anxiety (45 years) and I still deal with it daily, and these are the kinds of questions that seem the most pertinent after all this time. I really like your conclusion.

• July 21, 2016 at 10:14 am

This is spot on. I couldn’t agree more. In my experience I have also found that Trust really is the “opposite” of anxiety. Thank you for sharing.

• July 22, 2016 at 1:36 am

Dear Renee,

Your conclusion that trust is the opposite (antidote) to anxiety struck me as profound.

I know that I have major trust issues with everyone around me (even my family and therapist who are nothing but supportive) but it never occurred to me that I didn’t trust myself.

I can hear myself saying so often in therapy and to myself I just need to trust my instincts but the penny never dropped and I never managed to make the connection that if I don’t trust my instincts then I don’t trust myself.

And it’s all underpinned by the fear that I won’t be liked or loved or accepted and that in turn comes from not accepting and loving and caring for who I am.

There’s still a long journey ahead of me but your insight has helped to light the way.

Kind regards,

Rod.

• July 24, 2016 at 11:14 am

Hey Rod,
      You should give Brene Brown’s work a look. I have those struggles as well, especially self doubt and negative self talk. Brene Brown shines a light on shame and self acceptance that is extremely helpful.

• July 22, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I agree with you, great article.

I also believe people who experience anxiety to be amongst some of the bravest people I know.

• November 1, 2018 at 6:31 am

I agree with another reader that I found this profound. Trust. Is that what I need and how do I find it? I am not a religious person and have been envious of those who believe thinking they “trust the Lord”. But they are anxious, too, so there must be another answer. Where is this elusive trust?

• November 28, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Great article!

• April 24, 2019 at 9:47 am

Your post is full of healthy ideas, may God bless your heart and all your efforts to dig up people out of their various trenches.