7 thoughts on “Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones….

• July 2, 2015 at 8:20 pm

“Sticks and Stones” is not something that should not be repeated by parents to children. It is not true and there are numerous other ways to make the point to be stronger than words.

• July 5, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I have read your books and seen your pictures. I do Psychiatric work . There is no mystery here. Your abuser was a Sociopath. She was not a mother. A jealous sadistic rival she was. Don’t even try to figure her out. Don’t waste another second on her. The loving person that you are will never comprehend such Evil.

• July 5, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Thank you for your comment Nd kind words!

• July 6, 2015 at 6:00 am

How can we be sure her mother was a “sociopath”? Her mother hasn’t been afforded an opportunity to tell her side of the story. We also haven’t heard anybody’s theories about how she became an abusive mother to Sarah.

Ignorance is NOT bliss. Condemnation of a person’s actions, especially the actions of a person whom you’ve never even met, is not fair to them or to yourself unless you know what external forces may have influenced or coerced their abusive acts. Perhaps Sarah’s mom was abused somehow. Sarah herself has been ensnared by the cycle of abuse, at one point simultaneously holding both the “victim” and the “perpetrator” labels. Maybe her mom got ensnared by this cycle as well. Denial of your own potential for committing “evil” will leave you woefully unprepared for life’s most frantic and unpredictable moments. All of us have our breaking point and luck is the only difference between those who cross it and those who don’t.

Unfortunately for all of us bloggers, we’re doing our part to make sure that Sarah’s mom continues to behave abusively to her daughter. Public shaming provokes reactionary aggression from whoever it targets. Its goal is to disempower and humiliate its victims, draining them of the emotional and social resources they need to command respect and credibility from the people with whom they might build a rapport and, by this way, attempt to either withdraw from or fight the shaming. This is not the way to punish Sarah’s mom for inflicting violence upon her daughter.

• July 6, 2015 at 9:25 am

I agree with this comment. I was frankly shocked, that someone who “does psychiatric work”(whatever that means)would make such a comment about someone he has never met.

It is one thing for a person to express her first person view of her own experiences. She owns and has the righto to express her own narrative her way. But to rip into someone who you’ve never met(I assume) and is not your patient under the guise of “I do psychiatric work” is completely inappropriate.

• July 6, 2015 at 9:25 am

I said he has never met, it should obviously be “she”

• July 23, 2015 at 3:21 pm

I don’t do psychiatric work, but I certainly know better than to defend a victim’s abusive mother on the victim’s own blog. If Sarah’s mom wants to “defend” herself against Sarah’s version of events, then maybe she needs to write her own book. At some point “why” an abuser abuses becomes irrelevant. Meaning….it really makes no difference as to WHY I’m this scenario. I’m here to read and learn from Sarah’s account on her abusuve childhood. Not to defend her mother because of a random reader comment that really shouldn’t upset you that much, especially if you are both the “professionals” you made it a point to state you were. Save your sympathies for child abusers for your own blogs. Sarah…thank you for sharing your story with us. I appreciate it very much.