Comments on
What Holotropic Means for you

Holotropic probably sounds like an odd word to you. This term was coined by Stan Grof, a leading Psychiatrist in the field of spiritual psychology , otherwise referred to as transpersonal psychology.It combines breathing exercises with drums and artwork.

6 thoughts on “What Holotropic Means for you

• December 4, 2017 at 2:52 am

Hi Monique,
    I had to laugh when I read the title of this article because literally within the past several days, I saw this word “holographic” on a video game as I passed by it in a store and then a day later, on the cover of a book and both times I wondered what it means lol! I had planned to look into it later but then got side-tracked by some family stuff that’s been happening.
    I’ve never tried that kind of breathing. I think I would worry it would trigger anxiety attacks due to the difference in breathing, the unfamiliarity etc!

• December 4, 2017 at 1:59 pm

As I said, I do not promote or go against this, just sharing a technique that some find beneficial. We use deep , slow breathing to help bring someone out of an anxiety attack, some people use breathing techniques for meditation, others use it for inducing a trance like state, look at how we control breathing during labor. Ultimately, it is controlling something which is automated for us so it shifts our thinking and that can impact us positively or negatively. Another reason why it is best to have someone with you when doing it, just in case.

• December 5, 2017 at 2:06 am

I think I probably misunderstood the type of breathing because for some reason, I thought it was referring to rapid breathing which is why I thought it would be anxiety provoking for me and likely others as well! I obviously need to re- read the article lol!

• December 5, 2017 at 8:19 am

Holotropic breathing is more forced on the exhale, that is faster but the intake is too capacity. Different breathing techniques work for different goals, the goal of holotropic breathing is not to stop an anxiety attack, it is to unlock another level of consciousness essentially. It is also why it is suggested to have a partner, one cannot predict how they will react to this. Some report spiritual experiences over time, some report intense emotions associated with their trauma memories so it forces them to face that in a safe space, some report nothing.

• December 5, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Hi Monique,
    Great to read about holotropic breathing. Have you tried it? In India, we have Hatha yoga, a whole science of breathing that helps explore consciousness. I didn’t know you were interested in Transpersonal Psych.

• December 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

It is an interesting topic and has many possibilities. I will have to look into hatha yoga, I don’t know it.

I have done breathing exercises, I find that this type of exercise centers my focus. I am more comfortable with slow 4 second breathing and progressive relaxation techniques. I will inshallah explore this type of breathing and exercises more.

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.