7 thoughts on “Why Spirituality is Good for Your Mental Health

• February 19, 2019 at 2:28 am

Thanks so much for “Why Spirituality is Good for Your Mental Health!” This is very timely for me because in the past month, I have been working on deepening my spiritual life. I am not religious, but I am active in a 12 Step program where a Higher Power or Power Greater than Myself is part of the program. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) for which I haven’t found a medication that helps that I can tolerate. Talk therapy about my anxiety often can make it worse. So I often am overwhelmed with anxiety. I have found relief through trying a spiritual Letting Go of stuff, especially my anxiety. Anxiety can make it tough to have faith in spirituality, but for me at the moment, practicing faith helps…

• February 19, 2019 at 8:20 am

Absolutely, the 12 step program can be very beneficial. Along with many of its tenants, it emphasizes outsourcing that pain and struggles to a spiritual force, something greater. I am familiar with GAD, unfortunately, many medications for anxiety are highly addictive and abused. Anxiety at the core is an irrational fear of the unknown, if we take steps to ask ourselves why do I feel this way right now, what is the actual worst case scenario in this situation and the likelihood that would even happen? Really analyze what is happening and for some, this can help bring it down.

• February 21, 2019 at 11:11 am

Sorry but you really missed the mark on this one. I don’t need a god, I need real people offering real support that’s not in my imagination. That’s what we’ve lost with the rise of technology and the way our culture has developed into isolated family units that are separate from the larger community.

With family pushed above all else and very little genuine connection encouraged with people outside the family unit, nobody bothers trying to develop meaningful relationships with anyone they’re not sleeping with or related to. If you’re single *and* your family is crap, you end up alone, not knowing why your relationships are so superficial, while your so-called friends drop like flies as they get partnered off and start to form their own isolated family units. Which is why it’s such a stigma to be single, not want kids, or distance yourself from toxic family members–family are the only close relationships anyone seems to want to have. People are depressed because they’re not connecting with the real humans that surround them in any meaningful way. Proposing we fill the very real human connection hole with some kind of made up “divinity” concept that only exists in your head is an insult to all of us.

While less educated people may be able to use god as a tool to delude themselves into feeling less alone without changing anything in their external lives, that’s not solving the problem, it’s pretending that there isn’t one so hard that you eventually convince yourself. The medical community doesn’t recognize god as a cure for depression because it isn’t one, it’s a band aid that’s only accessible to people with a high proclivity to suspend disbelief whenever it’s convenient for them.

• February 21, 2019 at 11:47 am

Good afternoon. It is my understanding you believe I missed the mark on a post about spirituality for a blog that is literally titled “Spirituality and Mental Health” because you are an atheist and don’t believe this. If you have zero interest and are an atheist, then I have to wonder why you read something you went into with a disposition of disbelief? It is like a vegan reading an article about how to cook a steak then claiming it is wrong because only uneducated people eat meat.

That being said, first off spirituality is not always God. This can be different for many people dependent on their unique beliefs. Next, I am educated and I know plenty of educated people that utilize spirituality as part of their care with patients. Whether we are talking undergraduate or graduate, I know more than I can count so that statement is false and it is not credible to generalize an entire group of people based off of your own beliefs.

Your mention of social networking is valid and true, but that is not the topic of the blog. That is an entirely different topic.

You want to insult people with this comment, instead of disagreeing in a mature and polite manner you literally called people uneducated. That speaks to your own character and psychological concerns. I encourage you to seek out counseling for your own internal conflicts as passive aggressiveness and arrogance is a band-aid hiding something deeper and I do not tolerate trolls insulting my readers. People can disagree respectfully, but you came in meant to insult and claim you know better. That is not disagreeing respectfully, that is arrogance. Furthermore, it helped no one except your own ego.

Have a nice day Sir.

• February 21, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing this wonderful message. My experience has been that the more you practice listening to that “still, small voice within,” the louder it gets 🙂

• February 21, 2019 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for your comment! That still, small inner voice can get louder if we practice. Absolutely 🙂

• February 23, 2019 at 8:20 pm

That’s awesome. But if it would add some implementation strategies like how we can process in our everyday life would be more great.

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.