8 thoughts on “Finding Awe in Solo Hiking: Guest Post by Tricia M. Parker

• October 31, 2018 at 4:23 am

I’m so glad I’ve found your excellent article, Tricia, and I know it is going to help many of my readers, men and women, to find an extra motivation in doing solo hiking.

I took the liberty to add a link to my latest post on female solo hiking to give some more inspiration to anyone who seeks benefits on the health and wellness of the human body and mind.

Thank you Tricia and have many wonderful hikes.

Lara Sein

• October 31, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for this excellent piece, Lara. So much great information. I think it’s especially helpful for worried family and friends to read pieces like this .. or frequent the hiking blogs and pages out there. I realized that most of the worriers in my life were just handing me their fears and because they did not know how prepared I was. Or the motivation behind my solo journey. Thank you again. I so appreciate your crystal clear insight. Hike on, Sister!

• November 18, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I thank you so much for your nice words, they touched my heart.

I know the feeling of passing on their fears and worries. For now on my companion is the only who knows about my solo getaways, I check with him as soon as I can but he will never panic if I can’t reach him for several hours (he knows the mountains better than me!).

I send you the best energy and vibes from higher altitude.

Cheers Tricia

• October 31, 2018 at 7:31 pm

I have followed Tricia’s hiking posts and pictures on facebook and am so impressed with her tenacity to complete this challenge and embrace all she learned. It makes me want to do something now too. Thanks Tricia for inspiring me!

Best Wishes,
    Marianne Johnson

• October 31, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Awwwww, Marianne, my old friend and neighbor. Thank you for such kind words. Your pictures of your many hiking adventures have also inspired me over the years. So back at ya, Sister! Maybe we could meet up on an adventure in 2019. That would be awesome!

• November 27, 2018 at 2:19 pm

UPDATE ON THE SOLO HIKING!

On Sunday I finished off my 52nd hike in a 52 weeks. Early! I completed 46 hikes solo, and 6 with a buddy or group. So many beautiful trails all over Washington and a few in Oregon and Idaho as well. My personal goal of addressing stress and anxiety by accessing awe in nature was met. And understanding the power of activating the vagas nerve in healing from trauma and heartache was also achieved.

It was an amazing adventure yet I did not expect the push back from family and friends. They were very concerned for my well being all year and never let up. They never stopped handing me their fears and many of those fears were founded in singlism, I believe. Part of this was my fault. I don’t think it is my responsibility to help people understand my fierce independence or that people can accomplish feats alone, but I did fail to help people understand my preparation for this adventure — including first aid and survival and essentials of hiking, my dedication to safety and knowing my physical and mental limits, that at least 3 people always knew my GPS and ETA and ETD, and that even though I was a solo hiker I was rarely ever alone on the beautifully established and maintained trails of my home state and part of the world.

To me, solo hiking meant I planned and prepped without collaboration or dependence upon another’s schedule or parameters. And I choose to meet and hike, or not, with other fellow hikers out on the trails. This I own without apology.

Peace and Love to each of you in this new year! Live to hike another day!

• November 27, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Congratulations, Tricia! That you accomplished this despite all the push-back makes it that much sweeter. I’m sorry you got those reactions. Maybe something similar is going on as in those studies showing that people express harsher views toward single people who are happily single than those who wish they were coupled,

• November 27, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Thank you, Bella. I think you are right. The happiness factor seems to touch a nerve in some folks for sure. But it’s like I told my family, and after I gently educated them on my goals, ‘Your fears can’t be mine.’