16 thoughts on “For Writing about President Trump’s Lies, I Got Called an ‘Ugly Witch’ and More

• December 13, 2017 at 1:33 pm

How sad to receive such aggressive emails/comments, and at such a high volume. I applaud you for coming up with the idea, doing the research, and writing the article. I hope the negative responses don’t in any way deter you in the future because you are such a valuable voice.

• December 13, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Thank-you, ALM. I always appreciate kind words but even more so now amidst all the cruelty.

• December 13, 2017 at 5:10 pm

I’m so sorry – though not at all surprised – that you have to endure such mean-spirited attacks, especially when so much else is happening. As you say, this is where we are right now. I also suspect that the accusation that you didn’t write about Democrat presidents is code for not attacking Obama.

• December 13, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I think that’s probably so. Some did say specifically that I need to write about his lies. They all mention the same one, about keeping your doctor.

• December 13, 2017 at 5:11 pm

On another topic, I just ordered Alone and am looking forward to reading it!

• December 13, 2017 at 9:46 pm

What ALM said. Also, this:
    “…In my previous research, only 1 percent or 2 percent of people’s lies were cruel. For Trump, an astonishing 50% were cruel.”
    I have been trashed by deplorable trolls for my political views—I think they are feeling stupid and therefore are very defensive?? Not an excuse! Those people who wrote you those things are disgusting. I hope you have recourse against that one person…..

• December 14, 2017 at 4:46 am

You rock Bella!
    I’ve been reading your articles and sometimes posts for about a year now, and all I can say is what you know already: The response you’ve had from trolls is the ugly face of authoritarianism. It’s alive and well in some American hearts and it depresses me no end that the last election has all but put this kind of behaviour into the First Amendment’s text.
    Your writing is clear and un-reproach-able. You never point a finger at people, just numbers….and hopefully in most cases the numbers CAN’T lie.
    Glad to see that the Washington Post has supported your work. Keep on with it, and may the fires spare your home and those of your neighbours.

• December 14, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Dr. Bella,

I am so sorry this has happened to you. I am hopung that the tide will turn and that people will be more civil. Am going to share your story.

• December 14, 2017 at 1:13 pm

While talking with my wife – a Brit who watches the American scene with bemused attachment – she said something that really got me to think: what, she asked, are they really fighting about? The only thing I could put my finger on is that Trump is not about policies or facts, he’s all about attitude. If you counter that with argument, it’s like you’re attacking the identity of his “base”, and the reaction is brutally vehement. If they are attacking you for questioning his lies, you just hit a nerve, i.e. they don’t want to wonder about whether their current identity is simple bullshit.

• December 16, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for your courage, professionalism, honesty. May we all be strengthened likewise to speak the truth in love, and speak truth to power. It helps just to know, when we are vilified, that we are not alone. (And yes, if only the energy of bitterness and anger were channeled instead into constructive, not destructive, efforts!)