8 thoughts on “At Vassar Event, Only Married People Are Allowed to Bring a Guest

• October 17, 2016 at 6:31 am

Wow. I think you read waaaaayyyy too much into that invitation. Perhaps they used the word “partner” in the generic sense of the word to cover the terms “boyfriend, girlfriend, same-sex partner, and anyone-else-you’d-like-to-bring.” Just show up with someone if you want to. I doubt the “Date Police” are there, waiting to pounce on you. The operative words in that invitation seem to be “limit” and “one.” It’s likely more about cost and space issues…you know, crowd-control…than exactly WHO a person’s guest is.

• October 17, 2016 at 6:34 am

They did the same thing last year and I asked about it. What they meant was exactly what I said in this article that they meant — romantic partner or spouse, NOT a friend.

• October 17, 2016 at 6:04 pm

We’re always the incendiary, or petty, or too sensitive ones, aren’t we, Bella? Can you imagine an invitation reading, “No spouses, please”? I would love to see the firestorm in the wake of that.

• October 17, 2016 at 6:05 pm

That is an awesome comparison, Wendy! (“No spouses, please”)

• April 20, 2018 at 6:34 am

Seconded.
        Maybe “No spouses, civil partners, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. Yourself only. Please.”

• October 17, 2016 at 6:39 pm

This happens all the time. 50 dollars for a ticket; 75 if you bring your spouse, partner… This issue is this… You should not have to pretend to in a romantic relationship to be treated like a complete person. I am nearly 60 and still get wedding invitations that do not include a guest option… What do I do.. I don’t go. Period.

• April 20, 2018 at 6:30 am

There is another fairly obvious way to be fair to everyone.
    That being being to make the event strictly by invitation only.(No “plus one”).
    Which makes sense given the “limited space”.