6 thoughts on “A Contrarian’s View of Dying Alone: Guest Post by ‘Think Again’

• September 21, 2016 at 4:54 pm

“Well stated Bella. Bull’s Eye! “No matter when it happens, I will know that I am loved. No matter where I am, if I’m alone or surrounded by strangers, it doesn’t change what’s in my heart, and what’s in the hearts of those I love. I don’t really understand the fear of dying alone. And I think it’s a fear that should die.”
    Just this past week, I visited the Pest House Cemetary in my home state. Pauper’s funeral – Sometimes used to describe a public health funeral, a basic burial paid for by the local authority when the estate of the deceased person or the relatives of the deceased person do not have sufficient funds to cover the cost.
    I learned from the historical society that this property was donated back in the early 1900s by the Pest family for burial of the sick, and others, who could not afford a burial. Many of these folks, I was told, were alone when they died. Many had moved to this property to live out the last days of their life. The home funerals were prepared, and the bodies were wrapped in a sheet, buried by the folks, who managed this site at that time. At this writing, the city let this site go back to nature, however, there is a group in town, who is aim to restore the Pest House Cemetary. Excuse the typos, gotta run, am at the local library

• September 23, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Capturing glimpses was Little Rock photographer Dixie Knight’s gift
    By Frank Fellone This article was published September 21, 2016 at 5:45 a.m.
    SHE DIED AT HER HOME ALONE.
    Dixie Knight, whose photography has graced the homes of Little Rock since 1986, died Monday. She was 63. Little Rock police were called to Knight’s home about 5 p.m., according to a report. Police discounted foul play. Pulaski County Coroner Gerone Hobbs said the body was taken to the medical examiner’s office.

Just sharing the following — in reading “Recollections of Bear, Arkansas 1894-1911” — I learned this week through my local historical society’s office the following: Bear, Arkansas — Miss Katherine Hager, was a teacher at Bear school, (built in 1906), who owned a homestead, and an African American woman called, Aunt Em worked for her. Aunt Em who also never married nor had children, died and was buried on Miss Hager’s farm north of Bear. The farm was 160 acres. Bear had no organized church. Back in the day, these folks died alone!

• September 23, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I learned by visiting the local historical society the following: THE COUNTY FARM – BY Gladys Bradley and Wendy Richter
    The county farm was situated between highway 270 and Mountain Pine Road, and operated from 1897 through 1914 in Arkansas. The farm consisted of 300 acres and a total of 24 people. Small cabins were the dwellings these folks lived in. The residents were all mentally challenged. This place was known as an insane asylum. All were poor and single adults. There were no children. Admitting the beauty of the natural surroundings, the plentiful of food supply, well stocked medicine cabinet and the kindness of the Superintendent at that time was a nice place to live. These residents got plenty of fresh air and walking outside on the farm. Once a week the county physician called, records showed. There was a cemetery on the property. Two broken grave markers have been found. In 1914, the county farm burned, leaving only a few small cabins. J.J. Housley later purchased these lands, and one of the inmates remained in one of the cabins even after this time. He was an elderly black man called “Uncle Alec” by the Housley family. Uncle Alec remained there until Housley sold the land to Charlie Thornton in 1929, and moved to Hot Springs.

• September 26, 2016 at 1:26 pm

You wrote, and again, this is so true. Just had to post again, “I have a few thoughts on this. First of all, statistically, the majority of married women outlive their husbands so even if I did get married, there’s absolutely no guarantee that I wouldn’t end up dying alone anyway.” They are alone now, see below:
    J.B. Hunt to be bestowed hall of fame seat–
    Widow recalls speedbumps, triumphs of trucking firm
    By Emma Hurt This article was published September 25, 2016 at 2:19 a.m.
    Johnnie Bryan Hunt was a truck driver in Little Rock when he suggested to his wife, Johnelle, that he quit to start a new business in Stuttgart. Tired of being home alone, she made him promise one thing: “that we will never own another truck.”
    . Hunt died on December 7, 2006, several days after he slipped on ice and fell.
    AND,
    September 2016 – A true Health Warrior, Dr. Jameth Sheridan, recently passed away. In 1990, he invented the flax tortilla, which, with the help of his wife Kim, became the now famous flax seed cracker.

• October 14, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Excellent article. So glad I stumbled into it. I am almost 60 years old and never been married. I find myself obsessed with the thoughts of dying alone and being alone with a terminal illness of some kind. The article relieved me of my anxiety of possibly dying alone. But I still dread the possibility of being ill alone and broke.

I have a sister who lives 3000 miles from me. On occasions she has suggested that I should move to her area so that I won’t be alone. The thought of moving there makes me sick. I don’t want to give up my life where I am now to move there. She is 10 and a half years older than me. She has a husband, whom I am not too crazy about, and two young children. It’s not an environment where I would want to be at.

I love the way my life is now. Except that I have some minor health issues for now. I hate for it to end, or I hope it could get better. But I know that life cannot go on forever. If I pass on, well so what? I don’t really care about any kind of legacy that I could leave behind.

Thanks for the good read.