13 thoughts on “21 Ways Single People Are Taxed More Than Married People on Tax Day and Every Other Day

• April 14, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Well it certainly is an unfair situation,however, when I consider the odds of being in an unhappy relationship I’ll get over paying more!
    I know may happily married couples, but I know even more unhappily married couples! The unhappy ones are truly miserable and stay for whatever religious, ethical, or moral beliefs they have.

Pffft! With those examples of marriages today I’ll stay single and pay more taxes. Let’s call it me paying it forward, since I was happily married for 22 years, (my husband died suddenly ten years ago), so I’ll call that fair 😉

• August 28, 2017 at 9:22 pm

A lot of these are not taxes. They are discrimination. Getting paid more at your job or getting chosen to move into a house is not a tax. A tax is when the government takes from you, usually money, without your consent.

Some of these are taxes though. They certainly are taxing single people more than married people.

Though it seems unfair that singles are taxed more, what is really unfair is that anyone is taxed at all. After all, there is another name for taking things or money from people without their consent: Theft. Taxation is theft.

• November 12, 2017 at 1:04 pm

My mother, a widow (single not by choice), recently had to sell her house for financial purposes, only to find that she will be taxed on capital gains of $275K. If she were still married, she/they would only have been taxed if the house’s sale price had been $500K. How is it even remotely fair for a potentially two-income household to automatically and legally have almost twice the amount of money ignored by the government as a single-income household would?

• November 12, 2017 at 3:02 pm

that’s a great example of singlism, and why it is so important

• December 14, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Nobody mentioned that single people pay the same taxes as a family of four for the city and state they live in. Why should my taxes be the same when I don’t have children that need $12K a year per child for public schooling? I put out 1 trash can a week for garbage collection. My married neighbors with kids put out at least 4 cans. The chances of me needing the police to come to my house is also 4 times lower. Why should I have to pay for a new turf field for the recreation department when I don’t have kids that will take advantage of it? I use 1/4 the amount of natural resources and my carbon foot print is 1/4. My neighbors get tax breaks for having kids. Single people do not get any tax breaks whatsoever. Why? Because married people usually vote the same way and politicians cater to married people with children to get their votes. It’s a 2 for 1 deal compared to single people.

• December 14, 2017 at 2:05 pm

You’ve made some good points, Jack. In Finland, a singles organization has had some success in dealing with the issue of households vs # of people in the households.

• January 10, 2018 at 8:01 pm

We can complain about the unfairness of it. What can we do to resolve these problems? I am near retirement and I really don’t care to live alone. I have looked at some of the roommates situations but most of them want young women. I live in a mobile home with two bedrooms. I don’t need that. Also senior housing is really expensive. I am capable of cooking my meals. I am capable of cleaning my house. I’d rather live in a place where we have community kitchens and men and women’s bathrooms. A sitting room would be nice and then I could have my private bedroom. I don’t need all this privacy and solitude–in fact I’d rather not have it. I know it’s fashionable to be introverted. I’d rather be an ambivert and save money to use on trips where I don’t have to pay single supplement. On my last trip I stayed at a hostel. There were six of us in a room and it was great–like a slumber party. I don’t go out to restaurants much–I resent subsidizing couples and families.

• February 15, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I strongly agree with most of this, BUT you’re WRONG on item 18. Overwhelming evidence shows that children of single mothers run much greater risk of: teen pregnancy, drug use, delinquent behavior, criminal convictions, etc. The largest, most extensive survey of incarcerated individuals (prisons & jails) found their greatest common factor, by far, was NO EFFECTIVE FATHER FIGURE in their lives. Children of single FATHERS do better, btw, but an intact, 2-parent home has always been–and always will be–our best way to raise successful children, period. Anyone who denies this is IN DENIAL and probably a feminist apologist. Why did we not read about happiness comparisons of women vs. men, both single and married? After all, 70–80% of all divorces are filed by women, and men are far more likely to be emotionally & financially devastated in divorce courts. Post-divorce, men are 10X more likely to take their own lives and far more likely to live in poverty or be homeless, versus women, who get alimony, child support and government assistance, if needed. To compare happiness levels of 1.) married; 2.) divorced; 3.) never-married MEN would be interesting.

• February 15, 2018 at 8:29 pm

So what can we do about this? It’s too bad that we have to pay a high price for being unmarried. I got divorced because I couldn’t afford my unemployed husband who refused to work. We should be able to fight against single supplement. There are a lot us and I think we have enough in numbers to fight this. I went to a church that featured a singles camp out. Of course the leaders of the church were there. The cost of the camp out was $30 a family. If you didn’t have a family then you paid the $30. There were about five of us who went as a group and each of us paid $30. I think as a group we should have gotten a discount.

• March 6, 2018 at 6:02 pm

Belated thanks for this comment, Gail. I hope you said something about this. I agree that the 5 of you should have gotten a discount.

• February 27, 2019 at 12:56 pm

This is the most validating, helpful thing I have read in a long time. As a colleague in academia, I read a lot of things.

Noting the grumblings about the thread not having a “solution,” I just want to comment that if it were that simple, we wouldn’t need this conversation in the first place. This is a deeply ingrained, institutionalized, culturally integrated disaster. Just like any other “ism,” it permeates all facets of life and it’s reinforced everywhere we turn. We stop seeing it, but it still controls us, we internalize it. The institution of marriage is not the path to love, partnership, mutual respect, equality or responsibility for children. Those are human gifts we can give one another on our own. We can celebrate relationships with ceremonies and gatherings and we can make promises without the government. If we believe in a higher power, we can ask for the blessing of that power without the government. The legal institution of marriage is a path to paternalistic control over reproduction and personal lives. Until I read this, I felt alone in thinking about these things. I will be looking for your books and lectures, as well as opportunities for advocacy. Thank you thank you.