12 thoughts on “Record Number of Americans Will Stay Single for Life

• September 26, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I agree with Bella! I teach college in the South and so many of my (especially female) students (probably 20% at least) are indicating at age 19 that they don’t want to ever get married.

It’s been surprising, especially in the South, and it’s not a representative sample by any means, but it’s delightful to see. Young people have more choices now and they’re not blinding heading down the paths of marriage and children without thinking about what they really want out of their lives.

• October 1, 2014 at 12:42 pm

It is no big mystery. In our culture and society, the burden of initiation, whether respecting dating, initiation of sexual encounter, proposal of marriage, or any other social/sexual interaction, is imposed upon men. It is statistically factual that at least 50% of marriages end in divorce.Setting aside the argument that if even half of the remaining intact marriages are “happy” which I define modestly as having more good days than bad, one has a 1 in 4 chance of being in a “happy marriage”. If a sky diving instructor told you that there was a 1 in 4 chance of the parachute opening, would any rational person jump?

Then comes divorce. Having practiced law for thirty years in the Family and Child Support Courts, I can attest to the absolute reality that the Courts are gynocentric and misandric. The anti male disposition of the Courts is notorious. Men have awoken to this reality and are avoiding this pitfall in increasing numbers.

So, ladies, when you lament, with dismay and wonder, why marriage is declining, The answer is quite simple. We’re not asking!

• October 1, 2014 at 1:17 pm

It is rather amazing that no follow up questions were made to the group indica. ng they did not wish to marry. Did they themselves come from a family that was split by divorce? If so, what age were they when the parents divorced? Have they always had the desire to remain single? If not, at what age did they decide a preference to remain single? What reasons do they attribute to the change in prefetence? Do they have any siblings? What are their ages? Are they single, married, divorced or divorced and remarried?
    What is the underlying commonality that those who wish to remain single share? The same questions need to be put forth to all groups in order to guage the relevance and significance of any set responses within a group.

• October 4, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I like to reminded people that marriage is not necessary for a meaningful, long-term committed relationship. And I probably shouldn’t have to reminded others, but I often do have to, that marriage isn’t a prerequisite to having children either. It might by the case that people who said “no” just don’t want the formal and legal commitment, even if it is or because it is temporary in many or even most cases. Heard recently that having children with more than one partner is more advantageous to passing on one’s genes (not sure if that’s true or significant in a discussion like this).

• July 9, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I think it is really a person’s right to choose whether they want to marry or not, and if not that’s fine. Many years ago it was expected for people to marry, and if they did not society looked upon them as though something were wrong with them, treating them as cast-outs to be shunned. But the world has changed and many women in particular are finding out they can make it good without being married.

Lack of marriage does not mean something is wrong with a person. Many very successful people get through life single. Marriage has its advantages and is fine for those that want it, but gone are the days when society dreaded the “S” word for those single. Neither are single people treated as a disease to be avoided. I for one am glad to see the change and the intelligent attitude that more of society is accepting single people as the competent people we are.

• July 16, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Been single, through a few LTRs, marriage and divorce. Didn’t realize how good I had it being single until I went through the LTRs, marriage and divorce. Lots of pain to be had in relationships.

Guess I had to experience the above to come to the conclusion that I was always better off single. Since this ‘epiphany’, I stopped dating and started enjoying life solo. I’m far happier and far more at peace now than I’ve ever been coupled up. I don’t miss the all too common negative sides of intimate relationships at all.

For me personally, the reality of relationships was far different than the illusions and enchantments with which we’re often presented. I’ve found that going solo can mean a far more stable, fulfilling and satisfying life.

• October 25, 2016 at 8:47 am

Marriage is a sucker bet. Men with brains avoid it just like they avoid three card monty. You cannot win!

• April 14, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I will most likely be single for another 40 years, by choice.
    Women’s choice…

• April 21, 2017 at 12:57 am

I’m guessing the idea was figuring out why some people were not getting what they want. They probnably felt those who want to stay single are, and thus already have what they want so no more needs to be asked. They just tried to figure out why those who did want to couldn’t/what factors were preventing them from having what they want.

• July 23, 2017 at 8:35 am

Well for many of us good men that are still single which i am sure many others will agree with me that we never expected this to happen to us at all since it is the kind of women that are out there now that are very much to blame for this already since it really does take two to tango today. First of all unfortunately it is the women of today that have certainly changed for the worst of all which now many women have become so very greedy, selfish, spoiled, picky, and very money hungry as well. They will only want the very best of all and will never settle for less anyway since they usually want the very Rich type of men to begin with which they just to be very spoiled and will even take advantage of these men as well so they get the really nice things that they really want which is a real shame. Most of these women are nothing but users and losers as well which really speaks for itself right there which is the real excellent reason why many of us good innocent men are single now because of this since most of us men really can’t blame ourselves at all either.

• January 15, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Marriage is the CHEAPER option for most people that live in cities and suburbs as its cuts in half the cost of housing if they share the expense with a spouse along with so many other expenses in addition to an automatic safety net in case of illness or unemployment

• September 1, 2019 at 1:06 pm

If this is the same survey I’ve seen quoted elsewhere, it is essential to mention its most important flaw: the term *unmarried*. It makes no distinction between people who are single (not in a relationship) and those who are living with someone (formally unmarried).