There is so much I have meant to tell you but there never seems to be time. Life is whooshing by so quickly now. I remember when you were born. How I never thought you’d arrive and then there you were. A tiny, skinny miracle. An individual, fiercely independent then as now. A unique special daughter.
So here goes:
- Have the courage of your convictions. Don’t second guess yourself. Don’t waste your life on self-doubt. Dare to be great and creative.
- Don’t let any man treat you as less than or not enough. You are enough. Your are beautiful, talented and smart. Let the man please you before himself. Let him know you will not tolerate thoughtlessness or selfishness.
- There will be ups and downs. That’s part of life. Embrace it all.
- Remember to send thank-you notes. People always appreciate that.
- Don’t drive too fast. It’s just better all around.
- Stay in touch with people you care about for they will be your life-long friends.
- Make your own family whatever that looks like.
- If your sister needs you, go. She’s the only one God gave you.
- Don’t dwell on your mistakes. Learn from them and move on.
- Take good care of yourself by making the time, eating right and sleeping well.
- Work hard and play hard and travel when you can. Life is for living.
- Don’t worry about me. I am far from perfect. But I love you all the same.
- Phone home. From this day forward I may not always check on you, but I will be thinking of you every moment. I am in your corner.
That’s what mothers do.