16 thoughts on “What’s Gone Wrong with Addiction Treatment? And How We Can Fix It!

• March 19, 2019 at 1:06 am

This is so true. Thanks for putting this all together,. Very accurate and sad. Glad there are people working to change this. There are some good programs out there but they often go out of business because they can’t compete with the type of centers mentioned above. I have been able to visit some wonderful programs this week and it is good to see the work they are doing.

• March 20, 2019 at 8:40 am

Hi Robert. Thank you for this article. It really fired me up as one of my many pet peeves is the lack of proper education and treatment in programs that are meant to help people’s mental health and wellbeing. I’m an AEDP psychotherapist (have you heard of AEDP?) who writes to educate people on emotions and how to work with them safely and in line with our biology to ease anxiety and depression and foster the healing of childhood traumas. I teach a tool called the Change Triangle because it’s the best tool I’ve come across to help people understand emotions and work with them. It greatly benefits those in recovery to learn about the relationship between defenses like addictions, inhibitory emotions like anxiety and shame, and core emotions like fear, anger and sadness, which push up for expression. When we name, validate, and process our core emotions by paying attention to how they manifest in our body, we feel more authentic and calm. Why do you think it’s so hard to get rehabilitation programs to teach emotion education tools like the Change Triangle? Their go-to methods are still so cognitive which leaves so much helpful information out. I wrote “It’s Not Always Depression” (Random House, 2018) so it could be adapted into recovery groups. If you’re interested in trauma and emotion resources, I hope you’ll check out the book or share the FREE resources on my website for all to use: hilaryjacobshendel.com. Thank you again for all the work you do. Warmly, Hilary

• March 20, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Not at the moment. I am currently opening treatment centers in Los Angeles and Chiang Mai Thailand.

• April 27, 2019 at 9:17 am

Robert could not agree with you more.With the finances trumping long term treatment we are in trouble.I too have over 35 years in treatment and it needs to be less about hedge fund owned heads on beds.
        I believe strongly that early on in tx is not where all the resources need to be spent.More should be spent on month 2 through 12.Do you think this will ever be understood by insurers and families?

Barbara A.Cashin CSW,LCADC

• April 20, 2019 at 3:30 pm

In UK when visiting or invited live in Los Angeles

• March 21, 2019 at 10:54 pm

That’s very exciting. Congratulations! You could integrate the Change Triangle into your treatment facilities and programs. If you want to talk more or if I can be a resource, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. You’d be cutting edge! My email is hilaryjacobshendel@gmail.com if you’d like to brainstorm and I can share how other recovery groups are integrating emotion education into programs if you’re interested. Best of luck to you. Warmly, Hilary

• March 21, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Some great observations. There is an overriding worry that the “bottom line” becomes more important than good and effective care – something that is becoming more prevalent.

• March 23, 2019 at 6:08 pm

Hi. You spoke at one of my Adelphi Workwork shop events. I believe Peter Lazar connected us. I could not agree with you more. I refer to same places over and over again. There is one in Florida- no frills- but therapist understand comorbidity. That’s priceless. More value than all the equine based horse manure out there being peddled as treatment. I personally am exploring a more comprehensive model of addiction as well and have been speaking to that point from early childhood development

• March 25, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I think an important piece of change is around the language I still continue to hear in treatment programs and from treatment professionals. “Addict”, “Alcoholic”, “Addiction”, “Denial”, “Resistant” and so on. We can use stages of change and DSM 5 language to be much more effective in terms of reaching people on a level where they don’t feel judged, labeled or stigmatized. Substance use disorder, person with a SUD, Person in recovery from an SUD, pre-contemplation instead of “denial”… “It seems this isn’t something you’re thinking about right now”.

• March 25, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Robert, Thank you for this insightful article. It seems our models for treatment have gone through several evolutions over the past 30 years. The changes you are recommending are completely in-step with taking treatment to a place that is relevant and most helpful to the patient. Keep doing what you’re doing!

• March 30, 2019 at 11:08 am

Insurance today only covers you for about 2 weeks in Michigan and there are no long term rehabs around anymore. Maybe a few but they are not helpful with someone who is disabled and cannot work. They require you to work.
    I thought your page was very good. I go to a an A.A. meeting and speak with a retired director of a major rehab here in MI. Gonna pass it on for him to read.
    Jerusha P

• April 7, 2019 at 1:09 am

Great Article! Hope you are well

• April 23, 2019 at 8:34 pm

How about you all stop pretending rich people are the only sex addicts and make treatment affordable OR recognized by the insurance industry. Your article says you can do just as good with 8 guys and a white board but yet at your place a 14 day program is the same cost as a 30 day program in one of the spa like settings.
    Sex addiction ruins families and by the time the addict is trying to get to your doorstep all money has been spent on addiction or divorce.