7 thoughts on “Benzodiazepines: What You Should Know Before Filling Your Prescription

• December 3, 2016 at 3:13 am

I was skeptical at first when I read the topic, the use of benzo’s is something that always seems to cause controversy. I have for years used Valium in a responsible way and always in accord with my Pdoc and GP. I am prescribed more than I use, and take the bottle in when I have my script filled to show the GP how I am traveling and how many I have used.

Personally with my bipolar and mediation I take for it, any of my meditations if I were to stop them, it would put me in hospital or worse. To me, that is exactly the same as being addicted to them. The quality of my health and life would be severely impacted and quite probably endanger my life.

I like many with bipolar suffer from acute panic attacks and anxiety. Reaching for a tablet is not my first port of call. I agree with your words..

“If you are thinking of taking a prescription benzodiazepine to help control your anxiety, consider also other tools or skills you could develop to help alleviate your suffering. Find a psychotherapist you can trust and build a robust portfolio of hobbies and favorite pastimes that help you feel more relaxed, confident, and at ease in the world. Reach out to friends even when you’d rather not. With more social connections, support, and healthy ways to deal with anxiety when it arises, you might not need that prescription after all.”

I wish I had a support network. I wish I had a psychotherapist that hadn’t said “I don’t think there is anything else we can do…this is as good as it is going to get”. I wish I had a hobby that didn’t involve being alone with my thoughts. I wish I had social connections where I didn’t have to put on a mask and hold it together in order to behave in a way that is near “socially acceptable”.

Benzo’s are not the answer. They like all medications are part of the answer. The rest is up to us. I don’t however feel they should be picked out specifically for discussion/criticism any more than the anti psychotics, mood stabilizers or any other medication that have to be taken by those that are ill.

No matter what the med, it’s another tool we have. Some of us however have very few tools left that work.

• December 3, 2016 at 3:30 am

OH COME ON! Irresponsible, Hysterical article. I have severe Agoraphobia, PTSD and OCD. Among other medicines and regular therapy for over 30 years, the Benzodiazepines to which you refer have played and integral part of my treatment program. Would you please stop ripping into the lives of people like about whom you know nothing. Shame on you!

• December 3, 2016 at 3:40 am

NOT TO MENTION I realize that there is an opioid epidemic. HOWEVER, pain medication is absolutely critical to the lives of millions who live in agony on a daily, if not hourly, basis!! I’m truly, truly sorry for those who abuse pain medication. I’ve been personally devastated by the deaths of two very dear friends to pain medicine addiction, But tell that to the Cancer patient! Tell that TO the 11 year old with a condition so painful that sleep is virtually impossible. Really? Just consider the people in terrible, debilitating pain that people like you make them feel guilty for trying to live a normal life! Please..consider the millions, including CHILDREN who live in horrific, daily pain before you write your condescending, snotty articles.

• December 3, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Interestingly the article you refer to says that deaths have remained the same since 2012.

Heroin and other illegal drugs?

Have deaths from abuse of these substances also remained stable. I agree that its not the first thing to reach for, but there’s a lot worse I could be using for my OCD, anxiety and Agrophobia. Even my legal drugs plus alcohol……

The afticle is a bit sensationalized for my liking

• December 7, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Last night I was jolted awake at two am, a mere 2.5 hours after I went to sleep, I lie in bed for thirty minutes hoping the pain would ebb, eventually got up and took 5 mg vallium and a half oxycodone pill, I’ve suffered 6 years now with this invisible illness. I don’t even bother with the U.S. Health care industry, they already chopped out one healthy organ causing me much misery. Wtf, removing healthy organs!!! The colonoscopy, again also made me worse, and they killed a relative of mine via colonoscopy this year already, quackville folks. I have to work, I have to pay hills, and I have to sleep at night, I’ll take the pills!!

• April 18, 2017 at 1:28 pm

This and other articles are useful in letting potential users know what’s coming. It’s already beyond an epidemic and we may never know the full impact. So this is good start, knowledge of what’s in store. We can also be a bit more open-minded in the way we treat those already hooked yet want to be free of the sharp hook of Benzo’s and many other over-prescribed anti-anxiety/anti-depressant and sleep disorder medications.

Benzos are at their peak with regard to number of prescriptions given, amount of people getting addicted, and fatal overdose. It is not hard to work out why. The pharmaceutical giants (it is not a conspiracy theory, just business as usual) create a market with zero liability. The same is true for most anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds. ‘Big Pharma’ (annoying term I know) have our politicians and physicians in their pocket. We have an underlying respect for their ‘authority’ and that attitude, which borders on laziness, prevents us from breaking free. Look at all the forums regarding coming off Benzo’s. You will be besieged with terms like ‘nightmare’ and ‘insufferable’. It is easy to take this mass narrative as Truth. Yes, it is often very uncomfortable and the easy option is to go back to your dealer, who now wears a white coat and stethoscope, to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawal with more medication.

Trying to fight corporations or systems is futile. The fight is in each individual. Each person can break free, then create and repeat a new narrative, drug-free. There will be no statistics or peer-reviewed studies but a true story of freedom coming from the heart of one who has been there cuts deeper than the fear based stories of death and discomfort.

With Benzos in particular it is clearly foolish to just stop. A moderate taper will save you from seizure and shock. After 1-2 weeks this small death risk will have vanished. I have read stories of people who relatively quickly tapered down then stopped. And yet they tell others NOT to do that! Why is this? Why do they break free then discourage others to do the same? Well, many of them are now bloggers, so want an audience. And unlike the drug dealing Doctors they are not immune from liability and so have to cover their arses.

We see the craziness right there: the producers and dealers are immune. The users are not. And so we keep the narrative of ‘nightmare’ and ‘impossible’ going. It benefits the first two handsomely.

Last year we had a guy who was consuming insane amounts of alcohol (you can tell by my language I’m not a Doctor) and was prescribed 200 mg of Valium, and 450 mg of seroquel to ‘cure’ his anxiety, sleep problems, and general mental befuddlement. Sweet pill-popping Jesus we put our trust in that? It’s plain damn crazy.

Ok he stopped drinking when he came to us and used the Valium to avoid seizures (he was alcohol dependent). Within two weeks he had halved his intake and by two months stopped Valium completely. He also tapered down his seroquel and 90 days into his treatment was clean of that as well.

Take a look at the various tapering regimes and you will see how conflicting the ‘advice’ is with what was actually practised here. This was all done by his own volition. He took control and now has a new narrative.

When we limit our stories to within the boundaries of ‘professional’ guidance we are bound by their ties. It takes great courage and wisdom to forge our own path. It is a waste of energy to take on the institutions; we must be the change we want to see. Help is out there but it takes some work to find what is truly helpful and what is a story.

I am not giving advice to anyone here. Simply stating that there are stories which are true, whereby people broke free using ways and means not generally accepted.

This is what we treated this guy and many others with. It is widely available wherever you are in the world. It is not expensive or addictive…

Clifford Edwards
    Co-Founder
    banyantree21.com

• April 24, 2017 at 3:48 am

I see a conflict of interest in this article written by a guy who owns billions dollars making luxury rehabs and is telling customers – i mean people how bad benzo’s are….hmmmm. They aren’t healthy but you dont need to read a thinly veiled Advertisement on psychentral in the form of a ‘caring article!’ Shame on this blog. Get some legit professionals not just CEO’s w/no certification.